What's wrong with my upper eyelid? (Photo)

One is fine but on the other it folds back and creates like a roll of fat above the eye? What is this and how can I get it back to normal? Non surgical and I'm 19.

Doctor Answers 5

Ptosis left upper lid

Ptosis repair by a skin approach would lift the eyelid margin, bring the fat pads forward, and add to the lid fold creating better symmetry for you. I would recommend an evaluation by an oculoplastic surgeon when you are ready to have this surgically repaired. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

It is not a great photo, but it appears that you have ptosis of your left upper eyelid.

The photo needs to be improved for us to be able to help you better. Please make sure to look directly in to the camera and have the flash on. This way we can assess your MRD-1 (which it is margin-light-reflex) measured in millimeter. but from what I can see from this photo, it appears that you have ptosis of your left upper eyelid and you may need to have ptosis repair on that side.  

Soheila Rostami, MD, FAAO, FABCS
McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews


It looks like you have ptosis and may need surgical repair. Good luck with your decision to move forward and seek help.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

You have profound anterior levator dehiscence ptosis.

The disinsertion of the tendon causes this structure to retract into the orbit and make the upper eyelid look hollow.  The repair involves repositioning the tendon and teasing down anterior orbital fat into the upper eyelid fold.  There is no non-surgical fix.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Droopy eyelid

It is difficult from the photo to evaluate because you are looking down. But it appears that the left upper eyelid has a ptosis(drooping) of the eyelid. The right one looks ok but has some redundant skin, the left one would have this also but because it is drooping it stretches the eyelid. You would need to be evaluated in person with an oculoplastic specialist accurately diagnose the condition and give you treatment options.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.