If you are wanting to be pregnant and wanting to have Botox, would you say this may effect the chances?

Safety of Botox before, during, and after pregnancy

I am not aware of any studies investigating the safety of Botox while trying to get pregnant. In fact, I don't think such studies exist. Neither are there studies investigating the safety of Botox while pregnant or breastfeeding. With that said, we never recommend to get any neuromodulator injection (Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin) while breastfeeding or during pregnancy since the risk is unknown. It's simply not worth it to possibly jeopardize the well-being of the unborn or nursing child. I would also stay away from any neuromodulator injection when trying to conceive since it's simply not worth it to take chances.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Pregnancy

Thanks for your question. Although I am not aware of any studies that specifically test the effects of Botox during pregnancy, I do not recommend that patients receive Botox while pregnant or breastfeeding. To ensure that you have a safe and healthy pregnancy, it’s best to wait until you give birth and are done with breastfeeding before receiving any type of cosmetic injections. It’s always best to discuss any concerns regarding what to avoid during pregnancy with your OBGYN. Good luck!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Botox and Pregnancy

Per FDA rating, Botox is classified in Pregnancy Category C. That means animal studies show a risk potential, and there are no adequate human studies available. In my opinion, it's not worth it.As far as lactation is concerned, whether Botox is excreted in breast milk is not known, and the effect on a nursing infant is not known either.

Ellen Burov, MD

Botox is not known to affect fertility, but don't get Botox if family planning

Botox is not known to affect fertility, but don't get Botox if family planning. In addition, Botox is not recommendation while breast feeding.Best,Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox, Conception, and Pregnancy

No one can tell you with 100% certainty that Botox will or will not affect your fertility. Why? There are no randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled studies regarding this issue. It is not worth the worry to use Botox when trying to conceive, during pregnancy, or during breastfeeding. Likely nothing would happen, but on the chance that something does, you would not want the guilt of thinking that Botox use might have contributed to any conception, pregnancy, or baby health issues. Botox will still be there after your delivery!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox before pregnancy

Botox does not effect your fertility.  It is recommended to not receive botox while you are pregnant or trying.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox And Pregnancy

Thank you for your excellent question.  Receiving Botox will not affect your chances of becoming pregnant.  However, because there have been no studies on the effect of Botox on the developing fetus, the recommendation would be to avoid Botox while you are actively trying to conceive and during pregnancy.  Please be sure to discuss with your treating doctor.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Botox while pregnant

Hello! Botox is not recommended while pregnant or breast feeding. It is not worth the risk. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and pregnancy

I do not recommend Botox if you are currently pregnant. That being said, I do not know of any evidence showing that Botox prevents you from getting pregnant.

Botox while trying to get pregnant

Thank you for your question.  Botox will not affect your ability to conceive, but should be avoided once you find out that you are in fact pregnant.  The effects of Botox and other injectibles on the fetus are unknown.  I hope that helps!

Jodie Reinertson, MD
Seattle Physician