Am I normal? I have been suffering from a large labia for so long.

It hangs down 2inches or even more and its so uncomfortable, rubs, I cannot wear tights clothing which is really hard not to considering I go to the gym regularly it is so embarrasing and hard to hide. It literally made me stay awake at night and cry. I do not have enough money for labiaplasty, If I did get it would effect my gym routine and I love the gym not going would destroy me but my labia is actually destroying my self esteem!! Help plz

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your situation.  There are payment methods to slowly pay off the surgery. One way to find a surgeon for a consultation in your area and to discuss payment methods, is to do a search in RealSelf  "Find A Doctor":  1) Choose "Cleveland" under "Find Doctors By City"; 2) click on "Show More" under "Find Cleveland Doctors By Treatment"; and, 3) then choose "Labiaplasty".  I hope that this helps.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Boardman, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Is it normal?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that ONLY performs Labiaplasty.  This is my wheelhouse and is a very niche procedure that I perform. In my opinion your labiaplasty seems like it may be necessary. Once a patient explains that the enlarged Labia is affecting their quality of life, it Is usually time to do something about it.  Unfortunately most insurance companies do not offer coverage for this procedure.  Be sure to choose a surgeon who is board certified and specializes in this procedure.  

John G. Hunter, MD

The anatomy and appearance of the labia differs significantly from female to female. So yours may be "normal" but still causes you physical discomfort and emotional pain. Because of what you wrote, I would recommend looking into financing a labiaplasty, you can look at Care Credit, to help you pay for the procedure. Just from reading what you said it sounds like you would be a good candidate because of all of the problems you said your labia have caused you. You will of course need to be evaluated in person by a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty procedures to find out for sure if you are a candidate. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Labiaplasty explantion

A labiaplasty is a very common and safe procedure. I have attached a video that explains it.

Thank you for your question. If you feel uncomfortable having large protruberant vaginal lips Labiaplasty may be an option for you. Labiaplasty is a procedure that reduces the size of your vaginal lips. Hooding of the clitoris can also be reduced at the same time. My patients tell me that pain is negligible after surgery. They are more confident wearing bikinis, shorts and tight pants. It's very common for patients to finance surgery through care credit, which is available at our office. I hope you find this information helpful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Labiaplasty - "Am i normal"

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy) and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter. 

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Am I normal? I have been suffering from a large labia for so long

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that your labial appearance has caused you such worry and issues with self-esteem.  Though there is a very wide spectrum in the appearance of a woman's female genital anatomy a labiaplasty does allow for the reduction of these tissues which can make exercise and wearing of particularly types of clothing difficult.  Though you will be limited in your normal gym activities while healing, you will be able to return to them all when fully recovered.  Hope this helps.

I can imagine that this is uncomfortable and this is a fairly common condition amongst women even if not many talk about it

I don't work in the States but the operation can safely be done under a local anaesthetic with a better recovery. Local anaesthetic procedures are usually more affordable.

Hagen Schumacher, MD, PhD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Laser Reduction Labioplasty

Designer Laser Vaginoplasty is a group of cosmetic laser procedures which repairs, enhances, and beautifies the genitalia. The most common DLV procedures are the Laser Reduction Labioplasty (reduction of labia minora).

Laser reduction labioplasty is a very safe outpatient procedure. The procedure is painless. You can have your choice of anesthesia (local, local with IV sedation, regional-epidural for spinal, twilight, and general). Our special techniques will provide pain relief for the first 18 to 24 hours. After this the pain medications will take care of any discomfort.

You can resume exercise gradually. Maximum results are seen in 6 weeks.