How long is the pain when I lie on my side after full TT?

Positional pain after a tummy tuck

Many patients have difficulty getting comfortable lying down for quite some time after a tummy tuck.  Eventually this will resolve, but in the meantime, you may want to try keeping your knees slightly bent or propping on a pillow to help you get comfortable.  If you have pain on the side on which you are lying, ask your doctor if you can massage the area and see if that helps.

Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Pain After a tummy tuck

When sleeping on your side, much of the pain is contributed by swelling in that area and if liposuction were done, you can expect this to be quite sore for many weeks. Although you are quite functional after about a week, you can expect different pains in different areas for many weeks.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Game changing drug with tummy tucks

A tummy tuck can be a very painful procedure.  There is a long incision and the abdominal muscle repair can make for a long recovery.  A break through medication has come onto the market place the last couple of years which has revolutionized pain control after a tummy tuck.

The medication is called Exparel, it is a long acting local anesthetic that is placed during the tummy tuck procedure.  It alleviates the pain for 3-4 days after the procedure, which speeds up the recovery and lessens the need for post operative pain management with narcotics.  Narcotics can cause drowsiness, respiratory depression, dizziness, constipation, nausea and vomiting.  So, if narcotic use is minimized, the recovery process is quicker and easier.  I have had tummy tuck patients walk out of my office 1 hour after surgery when Exparel was used!  Ask your surgeon for Exparel to control your post operative pain.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Pain after TT

Everyone has different pain that lasts different amounts of time. It is difficult to predict. You will definitely be very sore the first 1-2 weeks post.

Thank you for sharing your question.  I am not exactly sure if this is what you are asking, but for most patients the pain or discomfort after a TT often lasts up to 2-3 weeks after surgery as it takes time for the muscle repair to relax and loosen.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns, they are in the best position to offer you reassurance and advice.