What is this on my tooth? Am I going to need a crown for this? (Photo)

It looks like a crack that formed a square on my tooth. I can feel the edge of the "squared crack" when I touch it with my nail. Am I going to need a crown for this? I just had a crown placed on the tooth next to this one.

Will you need a crown? #DrSoftTouch

It looks to me like you have a tooth colored filling that needs to be replaced. Based on your photo, the stained filling can be replaced with a new composite filling, which is a quick and easy procedure. I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

Crack on tooth?

Hello.To me, it looks like its an older composite filling on the tooth that is just picking up some stain and you are just feeling the edge of it as it is degrading over time.  You just need it replaced with a new composite filling, a quick and easy procedure.  Composite fillings (bonding) will pick up stain overtime.  It is highly unlikely to have a crack on the side of a tooth that forms a perfect square or oval.  

Gordon Chee, DDS
Calgary Dentist

Am i going to need a crown?

Your current dentist should remove the cracked part of the tooth, if it is not deep, no nerve is affected or any other problems, you can get a filling, in this case is a Class V or F5 its anĀ one surface restoration, made in a simple visit.

Jose Alonso, MD, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist

You could get a filling

Assuming there is no pain or infection, you could have the crack removed and a filling placed.  Some dentists will recommend crowns but I am conservative and don't see the need for one.

Joseph Proscia, DDS
Bonita Springs Dentist