How many sessions of laser tattoo removal will I most likely need for my thigh tattoo to be completely gone? (Photo)

I had gotten this tattoo a few weeks ago, and I'm already considering laser tattoo removal. I called a local laser tattoo removal place, and they said it'd have to be at least 3 months old before I can begin treatment (currently waiting for that 3 month mark). This tattoo is around the length of a dollar bill, but has a lot of thin parts to it. It is all black ink with some shading. I just want this tattoo to be gone, and I'm wondering if I'm a good candidate for laser tattoo removal?

Tattoo Removal

You would be a great candidate for the Alex Trivantage laser. This laser is the only one on the market that can target colors.  The multiple wave lengths can target all the colors in the tattoo with 4-6 sessions.  You should contact a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible.
  •  Tweet

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question. My preference for laser tattoo removal is the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 1064 wavelength which is ideal for black pigment. I also utilize the Picosure laser for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. With these advanced technologies 96% of ink can be removed in as little as 4-6 sessions on average. Pico technology is the most advanced and removes tattoos faster and safer then older laser systems. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. It is correct to wait until your tattoo is completely healed before starting the removal process. It appears that you are a good candidate for tattoo removal base on skin type and color of the tattoo. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tattoo Removal -- Pico/Q Switched Laser

Tattoos should be removed with q switched or pico lasers, we will often combine with fractional lasers to help speed the process. No matter the device it will take several treatments to see the outcome depending on your response and the technology. Please see a laser expert. Best, Dr. Emer

PicoSure for tattoo removal

Thank you for your question. I’m sorry to hear you are unhappy with your tattoo. You have to wait at least 6 months before you can start the laser treatment to remove your tattoo. PicoSure is the latest in tattoo removal technology. Tattoos are made up of ink that has been placed into the deeper layer of the skin, the dermis. This layer of skin is not shed like the upper layers of your skin, but remains in place, which is what makes tattoos permanent. In order to remove them, the cells that hold the ink have to be removed. The PicoSure laser is able to do this in fewer treatments then older technologies, typically 4-8 sessions at 4-6 week intervals and has the ability to treat multicolored tattoos with this same efficacy. Black ink is the easiest color to remove. If you are interested, I recommend consulting with a qualified physician in your area for a full consultation. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD