One breast higher than the other??? (photos)

I am 33 and I am currently 9 days post op. I guess I'd rather ask someone else before calling my doctor again. I was seen in the office on post op day 6 and was told everything is great and my right breast is still swollen. I feel like it is very high and they're not symmetrical at all. Now looking back in worried it was just placed differently than the left. I've been massaging and sleeping on my stomach now (per the post op instructions and they said it will even out) Please help! I'm very worried!

One breast higher than the other after breast augmentation???

You are still very early after breast augmentation and hopefully the right breast implant will drop into the proper position.  Ask your plastic surgeon if breast implant displacement exercises and a Bando over the right breast will help the right implant drop.

Breast asymmetries after breast augmentation

Hi HockeyMom,

Thanks for your question and photos. It is extremely common to have asymmetries in the position of the breast during the healing process. Usually the hand where you are dominant will be higher as the pectorals muscle is slightly tighter. I would continue massaging but please follow your surgeons recommendations. I sometimes recommend a muscle relaxant to allow the implant to drop. Check yourself in the mornings as your implants usually are sitting lower before you begin using your arm during the day. Be patient during the healing process. Follow your plastic surgeons recommendations!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
 @breastaugmentation @docmata #drcarlosmata

One Implant Higher than the Other Post Breast Augmentation

The final shape and size of your implants are approximated 2 to 3 months following your surgery, but it may be up to one year to see the end result. Your surgeon may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period.
However, #textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

One breast higher than the other

Thank you for your question. You are in early phase of healing.  They will continue to change in the coming several weeks. They also can be at different rates of descent. Please follow instructions from your PS and reevaluate after 3 months.

One breast higher than the other???

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your current results have caused you cancern. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest. It is common for one side to drop or become more natural appearing than the other but both should even out given enough time. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Breast implant position

If implants are under the muscle it is very common for one or both implants to be elevated for a few days or weeks. This is due to muscle spasm and the muscles do not stop for a while. Follow your surgeons instructions and it should come down over the nest few weeks. Good luck.

Post-op Concerns

I appreciate your concerns but way too early to worry. Your body needs time to heal and adapt to the implants. The skin and muscle over the implants must stretch a bit to allow the implants to settle into their final position. While your appearance will improve fairly quickly, don't expect to see your final result for at least 6 months after surgery. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

One breast higher than the other?

It is common for one breast to relax sooner than the other breast after breast augmentation.  This can produce the asymmetry that you are now seeing.  Give the area at least a few months before you become concerned that the implant will remain too high.  Keep your plastic surgeon aware of your progress and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You are very early in the healing process, and you have to give it several months to settle. Be patient and follow your surgeon's advice.

Asymmetry

Thank you for your question and photos. The right implant is clearly sitting higher but this is not unusual at 9 days post op. If it continues to feel harder and stay higher as time goes by your Plastic Surgeon will need to look into causes and ways to intervene but at the moment you may consider this to be normal post op asymmetry. I recommend that you continue to follow up with your surgeon and share concerns.

All the best