Why do I have lumpy breast and irregular skin and contour after breast fat transfer?

Hi I've had my second fat transfer procedure 10 days ago. First time was 4.5 months ago. My uptake was low anyway because I was a cup A to start with. My dr could only transfer 100 cc of fat to each breast this time. However, my left breast is lumpy this time and has an irregular inferior contour. I'm not happy at all with that, and I'm starting to get worried. Could this be temporary since it has only been 10 days? Thanks

Natural breast augmentation with fat grafting

I appreciate your question

I perform a natural breast augmentation with fat. This can be removed from any unwanted areas including the breast itself as part of my lipo-lift procedure. I perform the fat grafting in multiple planes including under the muscle to give the best, most natural enhancement. Fat grafting is a great solution for someone who wants to bring their breast size up a cup or so and use natural tissue vs an implant. However, it can also be combined with an implant or used as a secondary procedure to fill in areas that are flat or thin. It does not affect mammograms or breast feeding. It can be a little lump or hard at first but tends to soften over time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Fat Only Augmentation

Thank you for your question. While I agree that you are still early in the healing process, palpability or lumpiness is real risk when performing fat grafting. After it is transferred, there are three possible outcomes for the fat: (1) complete take , so it feels just like the rest of the breast (2) death with breakdown and reabsorbed by the body (3) death and calcification. 

Matthew Becker, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy Breasts And Irregular Skin Contour After Second Fat Transfer

Unevenness and lumpiness of the breast skin and soft tissues is certainly one of the risks of fat transfer to the breasts.  This often becomes more apparent when the fat is transferred closer to the dermis of the skin, rather than deeper into the breast tissue itself, or the pectoralis major muscle. This complication also occurs more commonly when large chunks of fat are transferred in the procedure, rather than small pearls of fat.

Another important consideration is that this is your second fat transfer procedure to the breasts, so we can infer that there is some residual scar tissue present in the breasts from your first fat transfer procedure.  So this factor may also increase your risk of developing lumpiness or an uneven contour of your breasts.  However, with all that said, it is important to note that you are only ten days out from your second surgery, so there is a good chance that some of the unevenness that you are observing may improve somewhat with time.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Fat transfer to breast

Hello and thank you for your question. You are still fairly early in your operative course. It is too soon to know if this is just healing or if this will be permanent. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician