Should the implants be replaced in 10 or 15 years or are they for a lifetime?

Mine are french eurosilicon anatomical

Implant life

Generally is the implants are saline and there are no problems with them you should leave them alone.  Silicone is a different story.  You need to be evaluating them for integrity with MRI.

Lifespan of implants

If your implants are doing well--no rupture and no capsule, and you are content, just enjoy them. There is no rule that implants much be replaced every ten years.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal

Hi Mammo,
Although implants don't necessarily last for a lifetime, they do not need to be changed out unless there is a problem.  I have many patients whom I have done BA on over 25 years ago who are still doing well with their original implants (both silicone and saline).  So, enjoy your good fortune and sit tight!  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Implant lifespan

Thank you for your question.  There is no specific lifespan for a silicone implant.  In general, they will not last a lifetime.  The implant shell can fatigue and eventually leak or rupture.  This happens at different times in different patients.  Additionally, the scar tissue around implants can get tighter with time, called capsular contracuture.  This, along with shifting of the implant position, are all reason to have a revision.  Basically, an implant's time is up when you are no longer happy with the shape or feel of your breasts or you have a known rupture.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. All implants leak eventually. This is a statement that should be communicated to each patient when any device is placed. Saline implants clearly reveal the leak as they deflate and your body absorbs the salt water that is contained within them. With gel implants, leakage is more difficult to determine as the gel material is viscous and does not generally pour out of the shell in which it is contained. Depending on the style and viscosity of the implant, patients can go months or years without knowing when their implants leak. Recommendations within the US are yearly physical and periodic MRI examinations. The safety profile of gel implants is good and overall, women have no higher risk of developing issues over women who have saline implants. Should you develop changes in the shape or feel of your breast, however, a thorough examination and an MRI may be beneficial. Please ensure that you are seen by a board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kaiser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Implants and exchange

There is no specific time for implants to be exchanged. I always say that "if they ain't broke, don't fix'em."  But I would say that you can expect implants will not last a lifetime and more than likely will need to be changed sometime in the future.

When to Replace Breast Implants

There is no reason to replace breast implants unless there is a problem.  Breast implants will not necessarily last a lifetime and, in fact, we do not expect that they will.  It is important to remember, however, that re-operation is not without some risks.  Unless the risks of surgery are out-weighed by the risks of leaving the implants in place, it is recommended that removal and replacement not be performed.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

For sure

Breast implants are not liftime devices, the FDA in the US and other national agencies are fed up to repeat this concept, sometimes against the stubborness of patients, surgeons and media, there are NO lifetime prosthesis in medicine.

Sooner or later replacement is due, the average I'd say is 15 years, but I have seen cases requiring renewal as short as 8-10 years and others as long as 20-22, it is very variable because it depends on how aggressive is your immune system destroying the implant, but sooner or later your body wins the battle.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

How often should implants be exchanged?

Nothing lasts a lifetime and eventually, everything gets worn out. You will need to have your implants replaced when you notice a deflation, rupture, hardening, malposition, or change in shape due to overlying skin/tissue changes. This may happen in five, ten, fifteen, or twenty years...there is no set schedule. So until a problem arises, enjoy your implants! 

Should my implants be replaced in 10 or 15 years?

The only reason to replace your implants would be if you had a problem with them or you wanted a different size.  Potential problems might include a capsular contracture, leakage or possible change of the overlying envelope of breast tissue muscle and skin.  It is difficult to assign a specific leakage rate to each individual implant.  Textured implants have a slightly higher incidence of leakage than smooth implants.  Each manufacturer has a variety of different shapes and sizes.  Some are filled with saline and some with silicone gel.  Each implant probably has a different leakage rate.  The best way to think about it is that in the first 10 years they probably won't leak,in the second 10 years they might leak, and in the third 10 years they probably will leak.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon