Any suggestions for Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck with 5 months baby at home?

hi! I'm considering TT,BA BL &had aBaby at home. I am 5 mo PP, almost reached my pre-preg.weight (within 10%) 135 lb 5"4. A sitter will stay with us for 10 days postop BUT she can't do midnight feeding for my 15 lb baby.Hubby is semi-supportive but he never fed baby in the middle of the night.I am sick of my 7months olds belly&sagging chest&want to get this done.I was wondering when is it safe to at least hold my baby, put him in the crib, pick him up safely?Have anyone had it done w/baby@home?

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Caring for Others

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

What activities can I do after a tummy tuck(TT) and how soon?

I allow my patients to get up and about the next day after a tummy tuck and breast implants. It may be uncomfortable but usually by the 5th day they should be able to even drive the car and go about their usual activities. If I do use a drain, then that can be attached under their clothes. Heavier activity they can begin at two to three weeks after their surgery. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

How soon to have Breast Augmentation and Tummy Tuck after pregnancy?

This is a great question and many women are excited to have surgery after their pregnancies. We ask that patients be at a stable weight and be done breast feeding before they consider have a mommy makeover. However, Moms also have to consider post-surgery activity. If you are tempted to do too much after surgery, you could have healing issues and/or change the results of your surgery. In my opinion, you should not lift your baby for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Holding the baby after a week or so should be fine, but lifting out of the crib, etc. is too much. Women who have help and support at home often have surgery when their children are young and other women need to wait until their child is walking to make it easier for them to follow the post-surgery recommendations. Discuss your options with a board certified plastic surgeon for a personalized surgery plan that will give you the best results. You are smart to be thinking about these questions before surgery. Good luck and enjoy your baby!

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that my patients not perform any physical activity such as lifting and/or carrying a baby for six weeks after their mommy makeover.  Please speak with your operating surgeon to discuss his or her preference.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Mommy makeover with 5 month old

Thank you for your question.  Having help with your baby for 10 days will be of great benefit to you post operatively.  You can hold your baby a few days after surgery as long as you are not lifting the baby.  Have someone else hand you the baby for you to feed them and then let the caregiver put the baby back in the crib.  You should be able to care for your baby again normally within three weeks following the surgery.

Postoperative help with implant required after mommy makeover.

I would plan on having some help for your child for about a week after the operation. Lifting the infant will not hurt you but I would be worried that any discomfort might create a problem for the child. By a weeks time, even though this is early in the healing cycle, most women can handle their daily affairs

Need help at home

The first 48 hours are the hardest, you will need help with your baby.  The first week I restrict lifting to a maximum of 15 pounds and the second week 30 pounds.  After the 2nd week more normal activity is allowed. Please follow your plastic surgeon's recommendation for post operative activity.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

The more help, the better for 2 to 4 weeks…

“Recovery time” will vary from one patient to another depending on the exact procedures performed, the patient's medical/psychological baseline health, and overall “attitude” (and how you define "recovery"). Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities/work, given that he/she knows you best, how you are progressing, and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Since you are considering undergoing major surgery (involving significant physical and psychological recovery often underestimated by patients and their plastic surgeons) the following words of advice may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Planning a mommy make-over with a 5 month baby

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over

• A mommy make-over sounds a great idea but the question is when.
  • You are planning a lot of surgery - but will not have night time help.
  • You only have day help for 10 days.
  • Your baby doesn't sleep through the night.....and you do the feeding.
  • After your surgery, you should not care for your baby - including nights - for 2 -3 weeks
  • If you cannot afford 2 weeks of a baby sitter by day and night nurse as well, wait.
  • When your baby sleeps through the night and you have at least 2 weeks of help doing everything for you - that is the time.
  • Otherwise you will have a miserable recovery and are likely to have a complication.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Plan for help after mommy makeover

You will not be able to fully participate in child care with a 5 month old at home after a mommy makeover so it is too early. A mommy makeover typically includes a tummy tuck and breast surgery so your body may not be ready yet either.

Richard Baxter, MD