Will insurance cover scars from previous botched facelift.

Probably Not Covered

Thank you for this question. I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with your facelift. Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely that a health insurance policy will provide coverage for scars resulting from an elective cosmetic procedure. (The same is true for revision surgery when a patient develops complications or has unsatisfactory results.) If you haven't already done so, consult a board-certified plastic surgeon about scar revision surgery and find out what kind of financing options they offer. In many cases, qualified patients can spread their payments out over time with low interest rates. Good luck.

Will insurance cover unpleasing facelift scars?

Thanks for your question.  It would be best to check with your Doctor, but in my experience insurance will not cover what was previously done for cosmetic reasons.  This can be difficult to predict, but my advice would be to check with your Doctor's office and your insurance carrier.  Best of luck to you.

Insurance Coverage from Facelift

Due to varying insurance plans, your provider may or may not cover a cosmetic procedure to mend issues caused by another elective procedure. If your primary surgery was covered by insurance, there is a possibility the secondary procedure would be covered as a complication. In such instances, written and photo documentation from your surgeon would need to be provided in order to prove evidence of significant functional issues. While the insurance provider does make the ultimate decision as to whether the procedure will be authorized, speaking to both your surgeon and insurance provider about coverage options will provide a better outline for treatment options. Best of luck to you!

Sam Rizk, MD

Insurance & Scar Revision

No, in general, insurance will not cover scar revision surgery especially since a facelift is an elective procedure. However, contact your original surgeon to discuss your issues or schedule a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in scar revision surgery. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Face lift scar revision

Thanks for your question. In my experience, insurance doesn't typically cover scar revision, especially if it was from an aesthetic procedure in the first place. However, if you go back to your original surgeon I bet they would be very happy to help you out. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance Coverage?

Insurance companies do not cover aesthetic plastic surgery or the sequellae from such procedures.  It would be advisable to at least take the issue up with the Surgeon involved. If this is not possible or desirable, make sure hat you see a Surgeon comfortable with revision work.  Good luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botched Facelift Scars

Hi Kathy, 

Unfortunately, this would be considered cosmetic and may difficult to get your insurance to cover this revision due to it resulting from an elective procedure. Fractional laser may be an option. This process is used to dissolve the molecular bonds of your damaged skin cells. This dissolving process is done layer by layer until your skin appears smoother and more uniform in texture and color. Another option would be an injection of steroids. This can help shrink and flatten the scar. My suggestion would be to discuss this with your surgeon, as he may be willing to assist.

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician

Scars From Botched Facelift Done Elsewhere

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience elsewhere. If your incisions are painful and contractile, some insurance carries might cover revision, particularly if there was a lesion removed at the time of your first facelift.  In my practice, I have seen many patients who seek revisionary surgery after having unsuccessful surgery done elsewhere. While I know you must be disappointed, the good news is that your subpar result can be revised and improved. Sadly, this situation of "repairing botched surgery" occurs too often when patients try to save money, or don't do enough homework in researching a plastic surgeon. Always be careful who you choose as your surgeon! It can cost so much more in time, money, and emotional expense if you try to cut corners, or if you don't take the time to really vet a surgeon. Please read reviews, study a potential surgeon's educational background, and absolutely look at years in practice because experience truly matters. A board certified plastic surgeon who works not just on the body, but the face and nose, and has done so for decades, would be your best bet.

Face lift scars - will insurance pay to correct them?

Thank you for asking about your face lift scars.

Most insurers specifically exclude correctkion of cosmetic surgery from your insurance and will generally not pay for correction of any scar for appearance alone. The exceptions tend to be the health insurance given to upper level corporate executives and their families - these can cover virtually all expenses.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Insurance Coverage

Hello ~ It will be very hard to get your insurance company to approve a revision of cosmetic surgery. This will be considered cosmetic and would have to be addressed between you and your surgeon. Depending on how long out from surgery you are it is worth discussing this with your original surgeon. Good Luck!

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician