Would I know if I had a saline leak? How can I tell if lumps on left breast are related to saline implant? (Photos)

Saline implants 16 years old. I've had 3 pregnancies with implants & nursed all 3 kids. My youngest is 8. Implants have been fine until recently felt a lump on right breast above nipple. also left breast nursed with more but asymmetry seems more drastic recently not sure if it because the right breast has some lumps.

How to evaluate saline leak and lumps on the breast

Your first step should be to get evaluated by a plastic surgeon. If there is any question as to what the lumps are, further testing and evaluation should be performed to prove that the lumps are benign.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants

A saline implant deflation is very noticeable in the majority of patients with a deflated chest on the effected side.  Lumps or rippling?  It is not clear what you are concerned about.

Breast lumps

You raise two important issues. As to the change in volume or shape of the breast 16 years post op, a slow leak and/or capsular contracture are the most likely culprits. See your plastic surgeon for evaluation. You may be sent for diagnostic testing to confirm and create a surgical plan.Any new lumps must be critically evaluated and diagnosed.  Mammography, sonography and potentially needle biopsy may be required.Best wishes.

Saline leak and lumps

Any breast lumps warrant an exam by your surgeon.  Especially if they are new or growing and changing.  I'd recommend an exam by your surgeon or OBGYN.  If a saline implant leaks the water is absorbed and it becomes pretty obvious as the implant deflates.  The asymmetry in your photos could be caused by capsular contracture which could easily be diagnosed by an examination with a plastic surgeon.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon