How long do lip fillers, lip augmentation, and lip implants each last? And what's the difference?

Lip fillers are temporary and lip implants are permanent.

There are three ways to augment the lips: through dermal fillers, lip implants, or with fat transfer. Dermal fillers are made up of hyaluronic acid (HA), a natural substance found throughout the human body. HA helps draw water to the skin’s surface, creating a plump, supple effect. Depending upon the person and the type of product used, lip fillers can last anywhere from 4 to 8 months. Lip implants are available in a variety of sizes and are a more permanent option. The lips can also be augmented with a fat transfer. This process involves removing your own fat via liposuction and then injecting it into the lips. Fat transfer lip augmentation can be long-lasting or even permanent.

New York General Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Implants are permanent and so is fat (if it stays after injection).  Fillers last 6-12 months depending on the type. I suggest you see an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip augmentation options

When it comes to volume correction, I tend to avoid permant and semi-permanent options, such as fat grafting and implants.  As you age, your face continues to change, which can affect the aesthetic look of the implants over time.  Although not permanent, Juvederm to the lips is an excellent & most practiced way of delivering volume exactly where you want it, while providing the most natural looking results.  Juvederm in the lips could last up to a year and generally the results of Juvederm last longer overtime as you add more product.  It is important to have the procedure done by an experienced doctor.  Do your research and see before and after photos.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

What are the differences in lip fillers, lip augmentation, and lip implants?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Lip augmentation is the process by which one can increase the size of one's lips using fillers, implants, or fat.  Lip filler can range from 3-4 months in the lips or in some cases up to 6-8, depending on the patient and filler material used.  I prefer not to use solid silicone implants but fat grafting provides a more permanent solution if this is your interest.  Hope this helps.

Lip augmentation

I do not like to use implants for lips. Fillers are my preferred way to augment the lips. Fat can be used as well.

The most common fillers used in the lips are hyluaronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Juvaderm. They will generally last about 6 months. Lip implants are permanent implants that require a minor surgical procedure to put in place and last until they implant is surgically removed. While they are made to look and feel as natural as possible in general implants tend not to look as natural as fillers as the administration of fillers can more easily be individualized to the patients anatomy and desired change. However in patients who are carefully selected lip implants can be a good choice as they avoid the need for repeated filler injections every 6 months. I hope this helps.

Ralph Massey, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologist