FTM breast removal- working around a medically implanted device? (Photo)

I had a procedure called the Nuss Procedure and there is a metal bar under my rib cage (horizontally, behind breasts). I am looking to get breast removal (FTM) in 2 years when the tissue surrounding the bar is fully healed. However, the bar comes out of my ribcage on the sides. I believe that it is right where a surgeon would need to make incisions for top surgery. I'm wondering if it may be possible to work around this medical implanted bar or must I wait extra years (when the bar is removed)?

FTM Surgery, Procedure and Your Device

Whether or not your Nuss device will affect the choice to have FTM surgery can depend a number of different considerations. There are several methods used and these depend upon the patient’s breast or chest size before surgery. Considerations include the laxity of skin the size of the areola and amount of fat and recent weight gain or weight loss. The most common procedures which are described include the periareola, buttonhole, double incision, and anchor patterns. Because each person is different, it’s important to be realistic about your goals and what is realistically achievable. Shaping the side of the chest may also be needed and can be performed with suctioning along with contouring of the muscle, as noted above to provide the best definition for the chest.

It is also important to choose a board certification in plastic surgery and experience is a good starting point. You should feel comfortable with your surgeon and his office staff. They should be open-minded regarding gender surgery. It’s important for your surgeon to have an aesthetic eye for body contouring you should be comfortable with the surgical facility that your doctor uses and make sure that it is certified. Although costs for surgery vary it is important that the expense be reasonable for your surgeon’s experience. Does your doctor and his office have an excellent reputation in the community?  Are you comfortable that your doctor will have the experience to deal with any problems that may arise as they can with any surgery? Always make an informed decision… take your time.

FTM Surgery, Procedure and Your Device

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

FTM top surgery

The metal plate used in Nuss procedure shouldn't affect your top surgery procedure or results. Be sure that you choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in FTM top surgery and works closely with the transgender community. 

FTM top surgery

FTM breast removal- working around a medically implanted device?

The presence of the metal plate that is commonly used in the Nuss Procedure will not affect your ability to have top surgery.  Best wishes. 

FTM top surgery after Nuss procedure.

Most patients that undergo the Nuss procedure will have the metal bar removed several years later. However if your bar is still in place, it will not affect the ability to have male chest confirmation surgery. Since each of these procedures is relatively uncommon, you will want to choose a TOP surgeon that has a reputation for their work, just as you did when seeking the Nuss procedure.

FTM top surgery after Nuss procedure.