Breast reduction and cotinine test.

I am having a breast reduction and found out that my cotinine blood test is in 6 days (mon). My last cigarette was last Monday and for the month before that it was very limited. 2 butts a day at the most. Not most days. What are the chances of me passing the test? Had I known it was going to be this soon I would have quit earlier. Thanks so much!

Cotinine level

This is to check if you have recently been smoking,. Smoking has been shown in some studies to increase the risk of complications by 50% or more.

Test

It is difficult to say whether this will be positive or negative.  I would have a detailed discussion with surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Ideal

ideally you are tob/cig free for greater than 6 weeks pre-op. Some surgeons will test you to be sure you have not lied to them, realize this is for your own good. IF YOU lose part or an entire nipple after surgery because YOU decided to not stop smoking, YOU are going to be very unhappy!