Should I let Belotero fade completely before getting another injection?

I had Belotero injections for acne scarring in Feb 2016. I know it fades gradually over time (6-9 months). If I get another injection to touch it up in August (6 months from initial injection), would the older injection continue to fade even after getting the touch-up? Or does the new injection kind of "take the place" of the older injection? I want to ensure that if I got a new injection at the 6-month mark, that I wouldn't see the first injection fading away shortly after getting the touch-up.

Belotero under the eyes can be extremely effective in managing a tear trough.  I use it extensively in my practice and most often will inject it with a cannula to minimize bruising and swelling and vascular risks.Repeat filler treatments can be undertaken before the filler has completely dissipated.  There is no medical reason to wait if you want more!Best of luck!

Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Generally, physician experts in dermal fillers notice that the results of repeated injections tend to be cumulative and additive, but this effect has not yet been widely studied in the medical literature.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Belotero injections...

As  noted by others, the Belotero simply layers on top of the existing filler.  I also agree that it is best to layer new filler prior to the old completely diminishing.  This will offer the best result and prolong the effect.

Joshua E. Lane, MD, MBA
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero injections

If you get more Belotero injections after 6 months it is completely safe and OK to do so. The new product will simply go on top of the old product and the old product will continue to diminish as normal. I normally advise my patients to have fillers done regularly and not wait until old product completely dissipates. This way your results will be long lasting. Hope this helped!

Injecting more filler won't make the old filler go away any faster

It is completely ok to inject additional Belotero over the existing product you already have in the scars.  The new product will not "replace" the old product.  It will just layer above it, and the old product will continue to fade as it would have.

Lawrence Osman, MD

Belotero for Acne Scars

Thank you for your question!  Many patients will elect to receive an additional dermal filler treatment as soon as the results of their prior treatment begin to diminish.  For some, this may be even less time than 6 months.  Injecting additional product is safe at any time and will neither increase, nor decrease, the natural breakdown of the original Belotero injections that you received.

Jason Givan, MD
Lynchburg Dermatologist

Filler injection for acne scars

It is a good idea to layer the newer filler on the older filler so that your acne scars do not return to baseline before re-treatment. There are many options for acne scars other than fillers and I think it is important that you look into these. These options include microneedling, non-ablative and ablative fractional lasers, chemical peels and subcision. Many of these treatments will give you a more permanent result. Speak with an experienced provider to help you decide what is right for you. 

Treating Acne Scars with Belotero

BELOTERO BALANCE® injectable gel is a prescription injection that is used to temporarily fill in etched lines from wrinkles or even acne scars. BELOTERO BALANCE creates an elegant finishing touch to your appearance, filling small gaps beneath the skin’s surface and  can make a noticeable difference immediately.! 
As it naturally diminishes, additional treatments might require less , as with other similar fillers.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Injecting additional filler prior to absorption of previously injected filler

Thank you for sharing your question. It is a good idea to layer new filler upon older filler. This technique prevents the scars from becoming apparent. You probably get the same amount of time out of this process. 
Good luck,

Hyaluornidase and Filler Injetions to Reverse -- NO IMPACT ON NORMAL SKIN

No need to wait , if the filler is dissolved after 24-72 hours you can reinject new filler.  Best, Dr. Emer.