I have a jowl with fat. I am interested in kybella tx. How much is the tx?

Skin Tightening Treatments + KYBELLA = Jowls + Double Chin Treatments!

At this time, the risks would outweigh the benefits of treating saggy jowls with KYBELLA. It is FDA -approved for submental chin fat only at this time. We advise combining the KYBELLA treatments with other laser devices for skin tightening , such as Cutera's TITAN or laser Genesis treatments.

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Kybella is for submental fat, not jowl fat; consider other options

Kybella is FDA approved for submental fat.  Application to other areas can result in unintended injury.

For jowls, you may want to consider
-fillers in the cheeks to lift
-sculptra in the submental area and mandibular jaw to balance
-ultherapy to tighten
-profound to tighten.

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella is not for jowls

Kybella is a great treatment for permanent destruction os fat under the chin area, it can cause skin tightening secondary to the inflammation and healing associated with fat cells being eliminated in your body, but it will unlikely affect your jowls.

You have an important nerve responsible for your lower lip movement, so Kybella will affect it and hence will give you a crooked smile.

Best and gold standard skin tightening option is Ultherapy for lower face and neck. This may or may not need to be combined with fractional laser resurfacing to give you optimal results.  Even surgery may be your best option. Hence, please seek an expert consultation for the most appropriate treatment for your self. Best, Dr.Avaliani

Anna Avaliani, MD
New York Physician

Kybella-Belkyra for Jowl Fat

Belkyra is not indicated for the treatment of jowl fat.  There is a nerve along the jawline that if injured by a Belkyra injection can cause numbness.   See Video

Shehla Ebrahim, MD
Vancouver Physician

Kybella and jowls

Kybella is a fabulous injection for treating submental fat but special care has to be used in treating the jowls.  There is a nerve in the jowls that cannot be treated.  That is why I often combine Kybella for the fat area under the chin with Thermage for tightening the jowls.  I find that this combination approach usually delivers the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Kybella: treating jowls

While Kybella is used to treat the submental area, there is some skin tightening noticed.  The jowls do tend to improve.  However, if your jowls are larger and your main concern, then Kybella will not directly treat that area. Direct injection to this area may damage a nerve that controls your lower lip function and there for is not advised.

Grant Stevens, MD

Kybella should not be used for jowl fat

Kybella is currently only indicated for use in the neck. At this time, I would recommend against using Kybella for jowl fat as this is the area where the marginal mandibular nerve, a branch of the facial nerve, travels. Kybella injected in this area could cause irritation or injury to this nerve. I would recommend a consultation with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or dermatologist for recommendations for other non-surgical options that may be available to you, such as fillers, lasers, radiofrequency procedures and Ultherapy. If the jowls are significant enough, a surgical option may be the best course of option. I hope you are able to find a procedure that addresses your concerns in a safe and effective manner.

Sarmela Sunder, MD

#Kybella

Because of the location of a major nerve supplying the muscles of expression below the lip, the marginal mandibular nerve, Kybella is not indicated for reducing jowl fat.

However, Ultherapy is an effective treatment for lifting and tightening the skin, and can smooth jowls and define the jawline in this area of the face.

Dr Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Kybella for the jowls

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, Kybella may not be the best approach for the jowl region.  The anatomy of the marginal mandibular nerve (that allows you to pout) traverses the jowl region, and thus can be injured with the treatment.  Kybella is really indicated for the submental fullness.  I would recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who is trained in Kybella.  

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Kybella Cost

Dear joanette janniere,

You may be candidate for Kybella injectables as Kybella is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness due to submental fat. Many patients and physicians may complain at the high cost of Kybella, but the fact of the matter is that you want the most effective remedy to your cosmetic concerns. You should consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest-quality knowledge, treatment, care and skills as you consider which treatment to utilize to remedy your jowl with fat.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon