Voluma vs Restylane Lyft for mid cheek?

I hear restylane Lyft has a higher g prime than voluma meaning it literally gives a more efficient lift than voluma (but just lasts less long than voluma so I can get a better lift per syringe with restylane Lyft but just for shorter durations. Is this true? Also I have préexisting malar edema and was wondering which of these fillers is technically more hydrophilic as I'll be injected near that area and want to prevent that from getting worse while still getting the lift.

Restylane Lyft vs Voluma

Restylane Lyft is Perlane repackaged. I used this product for years in the cheek region, until Voluma came out. I think they are about the same in all actuality and don't see much of a difference in longevity either. Voluma lasts "up to 2 years" if you inject about 8 syringes of it. No one is getting 8 syringes if they weren't done in the initial FDA study. The "G" prime is something that the sales people love to talk about as some differentiating factor, but it is really not that big of a deal in practice. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

The Cheek Challenge - Voluma vs Restylane Lyft

I did a patient with Voluma on one side and Lyft on the other. I used 3 syringes on each side, just like the average during the FDA trials. I last saw the patient at about 4 months and both sides were the same. She too had festoons and they were not changed on either side. The patient noted slightly more lift on the Lyft side initially but after a few weeks it was the same. I "challenged" a few other docs and they did it too. Their videos and mine are on the internet. I'm waiting to see if duration is different. I suspect it will be similar as well. My personal experience with Voluma was that there was some mild spread and flattening of the cheek over time. My preference is Lyft.  See link. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Voluma vs Restylane Lyft for mid cheek

Both voluma and restylane lyft can be excellent options. Depending on the candidate, I use both. The key is to choose an experienced and expert physician injector. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Voluma versus Restylane Lyft

Both Voluma and Restylane Lyft work in this area to treat the malar area and the depression that you are describing.  I personally prefer Voluma as it is provide move volume with less bruising.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Voluma vs Restylane lyft

It sounds like you have done your homework. I don't think the exact injection makes a difference - whats more important is what your doctor is comfortable with and what products they are used to using to achieve the results. 

I primarily use voluma in the cheeks and for my patients 50's and higher, I use a combination of voluma and radiesse or radiesse exclusively. Results are fantastic and longevity has more to do with the amount of product used rather than the exact product used. 

Your malar edema should be something to discuss with your doctor. The injections should really not make it worse- but if you have had issues with it before, then let your injector know. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Voluma vs Restylane Lyft for mid cheek?

Hello Qowpel,

They are both good options for that area.  The studies for Restylane Lyft quit at one year so it may last as long as Voluma since they are so similar, but the company can only claim it lasts up to one year.  The biggest concern is your malar edema.  Both products (and all HA fillers) will pull in water.  Depending on how severe your preexisting malar edema is may determine if you should receive these products.  In this situation, an actual implant may be a better option as it won't pull in fluid.  

I'd recommend you consult with a core physician injector (facial plastic surgery, plastic surgery, oculoplastic surgery, or dermatology) who does his or her own injections.  This way you can go over your goals,  your existing anatomy and edema, and which filler, if any, is right for you.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs. Restylane lyft

Restylane lyft is nothing new. Just the a name change. Voluma is specifically made for your cheeks and chin. The result is very natural looking cheeks. You must use enough for a full correction, however. (2-3 syringes).

If you have preexisting malar edema, you may want to discuss it more with your surgeon as sometimes injections in the area can worsen your malar edema. 

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs Restylane Lyft

Honestly, these fillers will probably deliver similar results. Both are also long lasting. The important thing is seeing a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist with the skill and expertise to deliver great results. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs Restylane Lyft for mid face

I prefer using Voluma for my patients. I think the results of Voluma are truly amazing, yet natural. And the longevity of the product is an added benefit. Please make sure you find a very experienced and board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to perform these injections for you. Both are great products when used by an expert, but can have their downfalls if performed by someone who is inexperienced. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Voluma vs Restylane Lyft?

Thank you for such a great question.  Restylane Lyft was previously called Perlane and is not a new product, just a new name.  Both of these fillers are great for mid cheek volume loss.  The effect and duration varies amongst patients and it is difficult to definitively say that one is better than the other for all patients.  Instead, it is more important to ensure that your treating clinician is an expert in the one they are using.  Neither one is particularly hydrophilic and the injections are placed deeper in the soft tissue (fat, muscle) of your cheek that it helps hide any swelling and bruising that may occur.  I hope this helps!

Natalie Attenello, MD