How big can I go without looking ridiculous please? Having trouble with rice sizers (Photo)

I am 37, 5' 7" and 149lbs. I recently lost 35lbs which has left me looking really rather deflated. I've tried the rice sizers but they're just pointing down and out which is not a good look! Might I need an uplift as well as implants or could I get a good result with just silicone under the muscle? I'd like to go as big as possible whilst still looking vaguely natural. I really want to regain fullness at the top of the breast. Thank you in advance for your help.

Rediculous and and natural do not go together

and you must decide for yourself what is more important and what will make you happier.  My 800 cc patients look huge but they are very happy with their look and results and are not worried about 'natural'.  Rice sizers do work well if provided with adequate instruction and use of unlined brassieres to get an idea of how you will look in terms of fullness/size (not naturalness).  Your photos suggest you do not need a lift and with larger implants, your nipples will be positioned a little higher.  See a local surgeon and find out what options are available for you and use his/her sizing system to help you decide on what you want.

How to Choose Breast Implant Size

The exact size to choose and the final look you want is of course a personal choice and everyone has a different opinion. Ultimately, it should be your decision. Nevertheless, in order to achieve a more natural or balanced look it is helpful to choose implants that are proportional to your breast and chest dimensions. Matching the dimensions of the implant to the dimensions of your breasts (most importantly breast width) will offer you the best chance of achieving a proportional look. Your plastic surgeon can help you with this. At the time of the consultation an exam can be performed and breast measurements can be taken. These measurements can be compared to the dimensions of the implant choices to help determine a starting point for implant size.

You may then have the opportunity to try a similar sized test implant in your bra to get an idea of how large you’ll be. You may then choose to stay with that size or go up or down as your taste and desires guide you.

There are however some considerations that you need to be aware of when choosing implant size. As the size of the implant goes up, it requires more stretching of the breast tissues to cover that implant. As the breast tissues stretch, they thin out to a certain extent. Think of what happens to chewing gum as you stretch it out. So with a larger implant (and that also means a heavier implant) there are thinner tissues supporting the weight of that implant. At some point one crosses a threshold where the weight of the implant exceeds the ability of the tissues to hold it long term. For each individual, that threshold will be different and unfortunately unpredictable.

Some women may do quite well with an implant that size while others may develop significant sag over time. The larger the implant is, the less predictable the long term results are. As a general statement, implants 350cc or smaller normally have good long term results and the results should be stable. The further one goes above that size, the more the risk of sagging increases although it will not happen to everyone.

The final choice is of course yours and you’re doing this to make yourself happy and that’s what you should do. Just be aware that all decisions and choices have implications – some good, some bad. As long as you are aware of your choices and the implications associated with those choices then you are in a position to make the best decision for yourself. Best of luck!

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

What implant volume is right

In my practice, I find it using sizers with a sports bra gives the patient the best idea of what she may finally look like.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

Determining implant size requires a personal consultation and collaboration with your plastic surgeon.  Achieving a pleasing result is a combination of learning your cosmetic goals and informing you of your options based on your anatomy and the anticipated effects of gravity and aging.  Remember, you are making a decision that is going to impact your appearance for the rest of your life so try to think long term and educate yourself so that you make good decisions.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

There is no  "right" size implant to tell you, however due to your height, you can have a larger than average implant.  From looking at your photo, I would recommend bilateral liposuction to reduce the size and weight of your breasts a bit and then replace that volume with a larger than average implant to give you a more youthful, perky breast.  Having a consultation that allows you to size with sizer's would be most helpful to you as well.

Scott W. Harris, MD, FACS

How big can I go without looking ridiculous? Do I need a lift?

From your picture, I do not think you need a breast lift. Many people find rice sizers confusing.  Goal pictures, and sizing implants in office as well as computer imaging are all helpful, and in combination should give you a good idea of what you can expect.   Unfortunately large implants look very high initially, and there is some element of uncertainty as to whether they will completely settle into an optimal appearance.  A careful in person examination will give you the best idea combined with these other techniques to determine size.

Ideal size.

Thanks for our inquiry.  From the photo it appears that you have enough breast tissue to cover fairly large implants, but there is no "correct" implant size.  I'd suggest a consult with a surgeon so you can try on sizers and get a sense of what provides the desired contour.

Picking the right implant size

It is difficult to tell from just a photo. Measurements of your brest and chest should always be taken into consideration. That being said it looks like you have enough breast tissue to expand oround the implants. My guess is that you could have implants in the 350-400cc range without looking "rediculous". Good luck.

Are breast sizers accurate?

Hi and thank you for your pictures and questions.  Your question is a good one, as I believe that sizers do not give an accurate estimation of what your breasts will look like after a breast augmentation.  How the sizers sit in a bra is quite different from how implants actually rest in the body and on the chest wall.  That being said, I do use sizers in my practice, but only as a very rough estimate.  Your best determination of implant size is after a thorough evaluation of your anatomy and an honest discussion with your plastic surgeon about your desired end result.  

As for whether you will need a lift or not, it is difficult to tell for sure from your one photo with your arms partially elevated.  To make an educated guess just from your pictures, you will likely not need a lift, however an in person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon will be best.

You are starting with fairly symmetric breasts with good skin quality (at least from the pics) so I anticipate that you should have a lovely result.  Good Luck!

How big can I go without looking ridiculous please?

Best plan is trial of implant sizers at the time of your consult based around the dimensions of your breast and chest wall. Go for moderate profile silicone gel implant through an inframammary approach (breast crease). I would think that a lift is not needed based on your photo. You will have a nice result as your breasts have a nice starting shape. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon