A week after my hair transplant, the scabs were so puffed and risen that I gently took them out. Should I be worried?

I had a hair transplant a week ago and tonight when I washed my hair, the scabs were so puffed and risen that I gently took them out with the tip of m nails. I barely touched my scalp and I didn't pull out any hair but because I know I shouldn't have tampered with the scabs and let them fall out on their own I'm so worried . also I felt a bit of Tingling on the back and front of my scalp.so should I be worried? did I mess it up? why is the reason we shouldn't tamper with the scabs ?

You removed the scabs 1 week following your hair transplant? Is that OK?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Ilianna,

Thank you for writing in with your question.  The short answer is no, you do not need to be worried.  The grafts from a hair transplant are healed in to their new position on your scalp after 5 days, so at 7 days, they are firmly in place.  The scabs that you took off were almost certainly going to just fall off on their own within a few days.  I have our patients on day 8 (with day 0 being the operation day, and the next day after that being day 1, and so on) put some clean baby oil on their grafts for about 20 minutes, then hop in the shower and wash their hair a few times to get all the oil out.  Most all the scabs will come off with that process on day 8.  I hope this is helpful to you.

Scabs after transplant

usually after a week you can play with scabs with your nail and they fall off. Sometimes the hair shaft is attached to the scabs and they fall at the same time and that is normal too. If the scabs are not soft do not pull them off . 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

I picked off my scabs, should I be worried.

This is a no no. I tell patients that picking off the crusts looses hair grafts. I wrote a paper on it in a medical journal as I documented that as long as the crusts remain, the grafts can be pulled out. Your doctor should have told you this. Our patients have NO  CRUSTS after their surgery because the way we have our patients wash them (see web-reference below)

You should worry and visit your doctor and ask him it this happened. You will sleep better.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

See a doctor

In general scabs fall out with gentle washing in 1 to 2 weeks.  If you follow your doctor's instructions, you should not have to worry.  If you think your are doing something wrong follow up with your doctor for a recheck

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon