My Earlobes Are Stretched?

Hi, I had this earlobe allergy because of fantasy jewelry, my earlobe got really swollen and I notice after 3 days that it know looks stretched and longer, I scratched the earlobe because of the itchiness. Can the earlobe get smaller with time? My friend says that if don't put on any earrings for the next couple months the earlobes will get smaller, is that true? If so, why? Will it stay stretched forever? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 8

Earlobe swollen after 3 days

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This should resolve. I would be careful putting in earrings so as to not traumatize them. Don't worry if they don't go down you can get them reduced. But I wouldn't do this until waiting at least 6 months when most of the healing (80%) is done. 

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe stretching reaction to jewelry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you use hydrocortisone cream and avoid earrings, especially ones that are heavy and are not 14k gold, the stretching will shrink some. However, it will probably not return to it's original condition. I find that many patients with this problem continue to experience infections which lead to more stretching and eventually require earlobe repair.

Treatment of Stretched Earlobes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Stretched earlobes will not usually return to their normal size and shape.  

I won't hurt to give them a "rest" for a few months and see if they do return to an acceptable appearance for you.

 If not, the repair and reshaping of the earlobe can be done as an office procedure under local anesthesia.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Ear Lobe stretching

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your history I think is most likely that the ear lobe skin will “bounce back” in a few months to a year. If not, seek consultation with a well trained board-certified plastic surgeon for advice.

Best wishes.

Stretched earlobes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most likely if you just had an allergic reaction and swelling and didn't cause the earring hole to actually split with pulling and/or itching, it will resolve over time.   If it doesn't, a split or stretched earring hole can be repaired in the office.  If you are worried about the actual size of your lobe, small surgical procedures under local anesthesia can be performed to reduce the size of the earlobe.  Avoid those earrings  (and all earrings until the swelling goes away), and see what happens over the next couple months!

Stretched earlobes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A stretched out earlobe may get smaller with time, but probably not.  I would recommend waiting at least 3 months, but if you are not happy with the appearance of the lobe at that time you should consider seeing a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon to address the issue.  Hope this helps.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Is earlobe stretching permanent?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the earlobe was only recently stretched, it is possible that leaving it alone will allow it to reduce in size,  perhaps to about the size it was before.  The longer it was held stretched, the more likely the stretching will be permanent.

We often stretch tissue surgically to enlarge it, and the stretching done that way can last.  However, even after many weeks, if tension is removed, at least some of the enlargement from stretching may reverse.

Your best bet is probably to leave it alone for a while.  After a couple of months, you will probably know if the stretching is permanent or not.

James Nachbar, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon

Earlobes stretching

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hard to say but certainly waiting is your best option.  I would give it 3-6 months and if it doesn't get better you can see a plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.