Liposuction vs. Chin Tuck - What's the Best Option for Me?

Regarding the chin tuck and scarring that I asked about earlier.....I am actually leaning towards the liposuction option more than a chin tuck....got my terms mixed up. It seems like the best option with the least amount of scarring. Here is my picture....maybe that will give you a better idea of what will work best for me. Thanks!

PHOTO: I vote for chin liposuction

Given your young age and apparently good skin tone, I think you would get a nice result with chin liposuction.

Liposuction for full chin

With good skin elasticity, that you seem to have, and only excess fat but not skin, that you also seem to have, you are a good candidate for Liposuction alone. To tell for sure, you need a consult.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the jawline and neck trims it up great.

Liposuction should do great for you and it is done under local anesthesia only and with no stitches and only 1 day off work for around $2500-3250.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Necks with pinchable fat and no loose wrinkling do well with liposuction alone.

You look like a great Tumescent liposuction of the neck candidate.  It takes about 30 minutes and is under local anesthesia and produces great results.

Good luck!

Julie E. Voss, MD
Kirkland Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction may work

Liposuction may be suitable if your skin elasticity is good in the area. This would be far less invasive then excision.

Liposuction vs chin tuck?

This is difficult to determine accurately with just a smiling photo.  There are two concerns when addressing the submental region. Fat and skin.  Judging from your youthful looking photo your skin appears to have good tone.  This would mean that your skin will contract nicely following liposuction making you a good candidate for liposuction alone.   Of course, if the skin remains loose,  you have the option to have a chin tuck later. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Submental Lipo or Chin Tuck?

If you just have fat in the neck area than liposuction will work best but it you have loose skin then you would want to get a tuck.  In your case I would recommend the submental liposuction.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Neck lipo

I would lean towards liposuction alone.  I don't see any platysmal bands or any other evidence that you need a tightening procedure based on the picture.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Chin liposuction vs open neck surgery

Without a formal exam to assess your skin quality, the amount of subcutaneous fat, etc.. it is hard to say what is best for you. Just from the picture, I would say you may be a good candidate for just liposuction.

Liposuction versus chin lift

In most cases, the factor that tilts the decision toward liposuction is the quality of what we call the skin envelope, or what a layman might refer to as the sagginess of the skin. In a more youthful person like yourself, liposuction works very well. In older patients who do not have significant excess skin, liposuction also works very well. I do agree with my colleagues that a lateral view is extremely useful in determing what might work best with you, but liposuction seems like it might work nicely for you.  A physical exam is always needed to provide the tactile feedback that can cinch the diagnosis and surgical plan for the surgeon.

Srdjan Ostric, MD