Can Ear Graft Be Corrected?

If after Rhinoplasty surgery ear grafting was required and the conchal bowl cartilage was taken, if there is deformation in the ear and the ear sticks right to the side of the head, is there any options to fix this? My ear sticks to the side of my head and looks like its been cut off

Doctor Answers 3

Otoplasty to correct rhinoplasty revision that required an ear graft

 This can be done. Some times this situation can be much more complicated than a regular otoplasty. It may require rotating some tissue in the area or either cartilage from the other side or an implant to help lateralize your ear.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 84 reviews

Ear deformity after grafting for nasal surgery

The concha of the ear can be a good source of cartilage when that is needed for nasal grafts.   It does happen, from time to time, that removing this cartilage weakens the ear and destabilizes it.

If this has happened to you, it could be that you would benefit from a conchal stabilizing procedure.  This typically involves taking a graft from the opposite ear and creating a strut to maintain support and position.

I would recommend that you return to your original surgeon and ask if he/she is willing to take corrective measures.  If that doesn't go as you hope, your next bet is to seek out a board certified surgeon who is comfortable treating this  problem.

Douglas Hargrave, M.D.

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Overaggressive Conchal Bowl Resection

Overly aggressive ear resection techniques can be hard to correct.  I usually prefer a cartilage spacer is placed to help prop the ear out.  The spacer can be made of ear cartilage, sometimes taken from the contralateral ear.  Each case is very different so make sure you consult an experienced otoplasty surgeon.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 163 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.