I have had an extra piece of cartilage (I assume) on my ear since I was born. What is this ear deformity? (photo)

It is like a ball in my ear, and has a small hole that looks like a piercing facing outward. It does leak a very small amount of pus. What is this, and what type of doctor do I see to have it removed?

Doctor Answers 3

Los Angeles earlobe surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Extra cartilage in the earlobe is quite common and in our office, we usually employ outpatient procedures to remove the cartilage and mass with surgery.


Dr. Karamanoukian 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Ear Mass

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos. This is likely a congenital cyst. While not dangerous, they can become infected and certainly can be a cosmetic concern.

These can usually be treated under local anesthesia with removal of the cyst and the draining sinus (hole). I recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon

Ear cyst

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This probably represents a congenital cyst or sinus which forms during the fusion of different parts of the ear.
It can be removed surgically. See a Board certified plastic Surgeon for accurate diagnosis and treatment options.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.