I noticed that the middle portion of my ear sticks out way more than it is suppose to. Do I have an ear deformity? (photo)

For a long time now I noticed that the middle portion of my ear sticks out way more than it is suppose to.. Unfortunately others have noticed too, and due to this I have faced a lot of ridicule because of that. I thought as I got older people would stop with it, but nothing changed. So now I'm desperate to know what exactly the condition is called, and if anything could possibly be done about it. Also if possible if there is an estimate on the price of the procedure. Thanks

Doctor Answers 6

Ear Deformation

You have an enlarged chonchal bowl.The treatment is resection of the enlarged region which is the cause of the prominence.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Prominent Chonchal Bowl

 You most likely have a prominent Chonchal Bowl of the ear. Some would call your condition Chonchal Bowl Hypertrophy. In any event the solution is a very simple procedure called chonchal bowl reduction which is often part of an Otoplasty or Era Pinning. Best,


Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Ear issue

It may be that your conchal bowl is too large. This can be reduced a bit to "bring in" the middle portion of your ear.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Ear Deformity

Patients of all ages get otoplasty surgery.  Consult with Board Certified Plastic Surgeons to discuss your concerns and expectations.  This surgery makes very happy people.  Best of luck to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Solutions for Ear Deformity

Otoplasty (ear surgery) can alter the appearance of your ear and fix your ear deformity. There are many different types of ear deformities, which I invite you to read more about at the link I provided. Each patient is different, so make sure you have a full assessment of your ears by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 79 reviews

Variant of Prominent Ear Deformity

   You have a variant of prominent ear deformity wherein the middle part (concha) is very much enlarged.  Surgery can easily correct this.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials to help with your concerns.

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 484 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.