Ear Cartilage Piercing Infection. Have Some Chondritis?

I had three earrings in my cartilage and they became infected. One of them the backing went right through my ear. My ear is swollen and the e.r. dr said to see a plastic surgeon. I do have some chondritis. It doesn't look too bad though. Can it get worse or is it as bad as it's gonna get?

Doctor Answers 3

Ear cartilage infection and chondritis

Your ear must hurt form the chondritis. You need to be on antibiotics. This should heal with treatment. A board certified plastic surgeon is well qualified to see you.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Ear Cartilage Piercing Infection. Have Some Chondritis?

A perichondritis needs to be treated with a specific class of antibiotics. Untreated cartilage infections can result in loss of cartilage and an ear deformity. I also recommend that you see a Facial Plastic Surgeon or ENT for evaluation and possible treatment. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

Ear pircing infection

You were told to follow up with a specialist because it can get worse and infection of the cartillage can cause major problems

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.