I am 45 and my breast went from firm to fatty. Can I surgically reduce the fat giggly breasts?

I am 45 and in the last two years my breasts have gone from firm to fatty. I also went from a perfect 34 C to a groce 36 DD. I have slowed down excercise a bit due to an injury and gained a bit of weight 15 lbs, but the overall change in my breast is uncomfortable and is causing discomfort in excercise. I would prefer no implants. I also form very thick ugly scars. I had no sagging until this last year. I want to go back to bra less nights and firm breasts. Surgical recommendations?

Breast changes

Dear vontempske,

Unfortunately, the changes you are describing are typical with age, hormonal fluctuations, and weight gain. Glandular breast tissue is very firm and rubbery, and as we age we loose this quality and have more of a fatty breast that has a "soft and jiggly" feel. These changes in tissue quality are why mammograms have little value in young women. As the breast becomes more fatty in nature (starting around age 40) much more information can be obtained at this point. 

It sounds like a lift or reduction would make the most sense, but without photos or an exam people here are just guessing. Liposuction alone may make you smaller but likely saggier and more "jiggly". If you are too afraid of how the scars might look I would recommend weight loss and good quality bras.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Reducing and firming breasts

There are many reasons that your breasts have changed over the last 2 years. Certainly the weight gain could be one of them as well as hormone changes, aging and genetics.  Unfortunately losing the weight will not likely make them firm again. Liposuction of your breasts could certainly help decrease the volume of the fatty tissue in them with very minimal scarring. The skin will shrink a little but probably not enough for you to consider them firm and/or perky. A lift with a small reduction would help correct both issues but result in more scarring. I would not recommend an implant at this time. As even though they may make your breasts feel more firm, they will certainly increase your cup size. 

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. The changes that you are noting are very common with aging and with weight fluctuations. Unfortunately, once fat has accumulated in the breast due to weight gain, a significant weight-loss regimen will reduce your volume but the skin generally does not shrink adequately to return to the more youthful appearance.  Options would include liposuction to reduce the fat (probably leaving you with saggy less full breasts), weight loss as well as surgical breast reduction and uplift with or without small breast implants to enhance fullness.  In your case your history of prominent scarring may make these impractical.  If you do choose to undergo a breast uplift or breast reduction surgery you might consider postoperative scar therapy taping in an attempt but without certainty of reducing the scars' prominence.

Enjoy the video above for some additional information regarding breast lifts and breast reduction.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast changes as you have experienced occur from a number of causes including your genetics, weight changes, hormonal changes and aging. The breast volume is comprised of true glandular breast tissue which is firm, and from fat, which is "soft and jiggely". In some cases the fat part can be reduced by liposuction, the glandular breast tissue cannot. There is nothing available to firm the skin. If you lose that extra 15 pounds, that may help some of course, but most patients turn to surgery for firmer (from implants) and a lift for a more youthful appearance. It may not be the best choice for you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tired of your implants

If you are tired of your implants, you can have them removed and just get a breast lift; this is tricky surgery and so I would chose a surgeon who has experience with this surgery.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Scarless breast reduction

ideal scenario for the liposuction only reduction. Not perfect but quick, safer, out patient, no general anesthesia, but most of all no scars. Find a BCPS in your area that specializes in the variation and look into it. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon