Options and outcomes for replacing a crown? Tooth feels like it has continued to decay. Best options without breaking the bank.

I had a large filling in a tooth (my only cavity) that fell out about a year after I got it. A different dentist suggested and placed a crown on it. I did not need a root canal. However, after a year it felt like the tooth has continued to decay at the gum line? When I brush or floss the tooth bleeds. I have only had the crown for two years. It is the upper left molar, second from the back. Another 1500 is hard to pay. Reliable options?

Dental #crown and bleeding gums #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
Bleeding around your crown does not necessarily indicate that your tooth is decaying.  There are many reasons for bleeding gums such as improper oral hygiene or an ill fitting crown.  I would recommend returning to your dentist to have your tooth and gums evaluated. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions. 

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Crown Problems

Bleeding around the gum tissues does not necessarily indicate the tooth is decaying still.  Bleeding gums indicates inflammation of the gum tissue.  This can be caused by a couple things:1.  Improper home are around the crown; make sure to brush and floss the crown as good or better than all the others.  2.  Allergy to material in crown or cement.  If the crown is porcelain fused to metal there is a chance you may be allergic to one of the metals used, typically nickel. 3.  Overhang of the crown or excess cement.  This can irritate the gums. I would return to the dentist and get their opinion. 

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist

Could be perio

You should make sure that you don't have periodontal disease.  Your bleeding is due to inflammation.  This could be due to tarter.  You did not mention if you were symptomatic to hot or cold.  Assuming you dont have sensitivity, have the doctor check for perio issues.

Joseph Proscia, DDS
Bonita Springs Dentist