I had breast augmentation 11 years ago, saline, 340cc, behind the muscle. I was a small B cup, but now more like a 36DD (Photo)

I want smaller implants. What would you recommend; lift, new implants? What is the shelf life of implants? How much down time should I expect? Thank you.

I had breast augmentation 11 years ago, saline, 340cc, behind the muscle. I was a small B cup, but now more like a 36DD

Your breast have developed more sagging since your augmentation. A smaller implant alone will not improve the shape and may make them look saggier due to the decreased volume in the upper breast. I would recommend that you consider having a breast lift or mastopexy with an implant exchange, maybe to a smaller implant since the lift will make them look fuller. If you have gained a significant amount of breast tissue over the years, you could have a lift with removal of the implants. You will need to be evaluated to determine your goals and which procedure is best to make your breast shape better.
Saline implants may last over 20 years, but if you are having another breast surgery, it is less expensive to replace the implants at that time than to leave them and have to exchange them at a second surgery.

Augment 11y ago

Hello, you will need a full assessment in person by a plastic surgeon to answer your questions in detail.  If you have noticed an increase in size and sagging of your breasts and are considering downsizing the implants, a lift might be an option at the same time to improve the position of the nipples.  There is no specific shelf life of implants when they must be replaced.  Most of my patients take about 1-2 weeks off after their breast implant & lift surgery but it could be longer if they do physical work, or they might return on modified duties for 4-6 weeks.

I appreciate your question.

From your photo, you appear to have some ptosis so a lift would be of great benefit to you.  It would reposition your nipples and help reshape your breasts, giving them a more youthful appearance.  A physical exam is necessary.   If you have ample breast tissue, augmentation might not be needed.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast lift with implant exchange

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos I recommend a breast lift and exchanging your implants (possibly to smaller silicone ones). An in-person consultation and physical exam will be required to confirm this recommendation. Some women gain breast tissue as they age and this is not unusual. Silicone implants will last longer then saline, but there is no specific predetermined shelf life. Seek a plastic surgeon with plenty of experience in this operation.

Lift and possible smaller or no implants

I think an exam in critical. If you gained weight and you breasts enlarged then perhaps a lift alone without implants may be reasonable. Best to see in person.

Breast implant exhange

In the photos, you appear to have developed some ptosis (droop) from the breast implants.  Exchanging the implants and doing a breast lift will give you the best overall aesthetic result.  If we can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact us.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

I had breast augmentation 11 years ago, saline, 340cc, behind the muscle. I was a small B cup, but now more like a 36DD (

You need to address the possible weight gain, aging, pregnancies?? Also only in person  opinions count.......

Thank you for your question and the photograph. I do think that you would benefit from going with a smaller implants size to get in better overall luck with your figure. I do think that you would likely require a breast lift along with that procedure. Implants can last many years, but they do require some monitoring which your surgeon will do with you. 

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you would benefit from a breast lift with implant exchange for smaller implants (with pocket revision).  The breast lift with implants procedure will give your breasts a perkier, more youthful appearance.  I tell my patients to wait about three months after the procedure to allow for reduction in swelling and healing.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

No one wants a lift, but unfortuantely some woman need them

You would benefit from a mastopexy. You may be able to remove your implants altogether if you want to be smaller. There is no set shelf life of the device, but as you've discovered changing sizes and/or lifting are the two most common reasons for revision surgery. Best of luck.