Bilateral removal of axillary breast tissue under the arm (Photo)

Hi I had removal of axillary breast tissue 4 weeks ago. I was doing weekly dressings. My surgeon tells me that the wound site is healed but that the swelling will eventually dissipate. I was under the impression that it should have dissipated by now. It looks like I still have a lump - Is this anything to be concerned about? How long before the swelling decreases? Is there anything that I can do to speed up the process? Regards Kat

Swelling after removal of axillary breast tissue

Thank you for asking about your axilllary breast tissue removal.

• Your concern is understandable but your surgeon's advice s good.
  • Swelling takes at least 6 months to dissipate - often longer.
  • The lump is lilkely to be swelling.
  • Swelling after surgery is a biologic process that we really can't speed up or 
  • If after six months there is some remaining fullness, your surgeon can probably easily remove it.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS