Labiaplasty, almost 5 weeks post op. Is everything healing okay? (Photo)

I'm almost 5 weeks post op. how does everything look? yes, i know my clitoral hood can be reduced please do not talk about that specifically. when should i be able to have sex?

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well to reduce any swelling. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. 

Labiaplasty, almost 5 weeks post op. Is everything healing okay?

It is difficult to tell if you are healing well, as the incisions themselves are not visible.  However, there does seem to be some clitoral hood swelling or redundancy present.  Swelling can be present for a few months after surgery, so it may be hard to fully appreciate the outcome of procedure until then.  If you are unhappy with your results at that time, a revision may be considered to address your areas of concern.

Labiaplasty healing

It appears that the labia minora are healing without problems, but I am not able to see them fully in the picture you included.  It also appears that you have some redundancy of the clitoral hood skin.  If that does not subside as the swelling resolves, you might consider a small procedure under local anesthesia to reduce the amount of tissue covering the clitoris.

David Stoker, MD

Is everything healing normally at 5 weeks?

Dear Christian,Thank you for sharing your photo and question.  Usually it takes 6-8 weeks for the labial incisions to heal.  It is difficult to see the suture lines from this photo.  It appears that not only the hood, but the frenulum needs to be reduced as well.  Please research surgeons who specialize in cosmetic-plastic gynecology if and when you decide to have the hood reduced.  For more information about labiaplasty and hood reduction, please visit the link below.I hope this information is helpful.Sincerely,Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOGCosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

6 weeks pos

It is impossible to see your labia as they have been reduced below the level of the labia majora and I can not assess the situation.  Usually I recommend 6 weeks to have intercourse but you should direct your question to the surgeon who performed your surgery.

Your photo doesn't reveal enough of the scar to assess healing

The large clitoral hood is obscuring the view of the labia minora scars. Without a full view of the scars, healing cannot be assessed from a photo. You should be able to have sex when you are fully healed at 6-8 weeks after surgery.

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  It is difficult to evaluate your results based on one photograph.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that means traveling.  Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Poor pic

If you can submit a better picture, then we can offer a better clinical opinion.  However, based on what you have submitted, it does appear you are healing OK.

Labiaplasty 5 weeks PostOp. Is everything healing okay?

Unfortunately your photograph offers only a very limited view of your labia minora, but what can be seen looks to be healing well.  In most cases of an uncomplicated recovery sex can be resumed at 6 weeks but it would be best to ask your surgeon before attempting intercourse.  Best wishes!