Sex after Labiaplasty. Any suggestions?

I am almost three weeks post op labiaplasty. I was released to ride a horse and wear a tampon, so do you think it's okay to have sex? i am not in pain at all and there's no swelling.

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.  The final answer on this could be advised by your own surgeon, as you have already been released to horseback riding and other activities. If your surgeon states that you are healed well enough for sexual activity then you will be good to go!

Sex after Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. I would consult with your doctor as every surgeon has different post operative protocols and they are the one who know your background and medical history, as well as what they actually performed during the surgery, the best. I usually recommend to my patients to refrain from any type of sexual activity for up to 4-6 weeks and all the swelling and pain has resided. To be safe, I would at least wait one more week but the most important thing for you to do is get your surgeon’s advice. I hope this helps!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sex after Labiaplasty

The best person to ask is your surgeon, since he/she will know exactly what was done. In my own practice I ask my trim labiaplasty patients to wait four weeks and my wedge patients to wait 6 weeks to have intercourse and use tampons. But your surgeon is the best one to give you a recommendation.For more information click on the link below.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Wait 6 weeks after labiaplasty to be intimate- don't take chances!

Please wait until 6 weeks after labiaplasty surgery before you are intimate with your partner- don't take any chances to mess up your final results. It's best to directly speak with your surgeon as well. Be careful!Cheers,

How soon can one have sex after labiaplasty?

Thank you for your question.  Most surgical wounds take at least six weeks to heal.  Some wounds can take longer and if one is an athlete the time before one can resume contact sports is even longer.  I recommend you discuss this with your surgeon.  In my practice I advise my patients to wait at least six weeks.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplastu - when to have sex

Thank you for asking about your labiplasty.
  • Surgical healing is a biologic process that takes six weeks.
  • This is why surgeons want patients to wait six weeks before activities that could damage a surgical area.
  • I am glad you are healing so well but I advise my patients no sex for 6 weeks.
  • As for horse back riding - if you are going for a short, fun trail ride on a Western saddle on an old horse at a walk - that is ok.
  • But for serious riding - I would wait six weeks or you are likely to end up sore, swollen and maybe bruised just as you would after sex at this point.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

6 weeks

My restrictions for sexual activity following a labiaplasty is 6 weeks.  3 weeks is quite early to consider sexual activity.  Obviously you should ask your surgeon about their preference.  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Sex after labiaplasty. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  Depending on the extent of procedures performed for your labiaplasty I would advocate not having sex for at least 6 weeks after surgery.  It is best to avoid any unnecessary trauma to the tissues so as to avoid wound healing complications and separations.  

Sex 3 weeks after labiaplasty

I am not sure of your surgeons experience  but I would not recommend sex or riding a horse 3 weeks after surgery.   John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta  ~ BeverlyHills  ~ Dubai

Doctor Instructions

Best to follow those. For my patients, 4-6 weeks is the rule. Best to have your doctor get clear instructions to you.