For the BEST results, should I have implants removed, then mastopexy at a later date or both done in one procedure?

Removal and lift

During your consultation with a plastic surgeon, the best option will be discussed. Some women can have a removal and lift done at the same time. For those women with little breast tissue, the removal is done first, and the lift may follow at 3-6 months.  Occasionally, a few women should not get a lift after removal of implants and the capsules. Your physician can determine how much breast tissue you have and the amount of blood flow to your nipple.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Either way will be OK depending on your PS preference. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

One or two stages

It would be best to post some photos to gat an optimal opinion. It depends totally on what you are starting out with and how asymmetric and how low the nipples are. Also depends on the quality of your capsules and whether you have any rupture etc. If there are implant issues its best to remove the capsules and implants en bloc and leave things to settle.
If the capsules and implants are OK then the decision on one and two stages need to be discussed at a  consult.
Although two stages may give the most optimal results I usually only go down this route if I think there is a chance that removal only without mastopexy may be sufficient to give you a reasonable result. If I feel that removal only will give a poor result (and implants and capsules are OK) then I would tend to favour a one stage procedure. There are limits on what can be achieved at a one stage but often this is prefferable. At the end of the day its all dependent on your expectations and also the financial question. Two operations end up being more costly.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Without photographs it is difficult to give you good advice; in my practice, I individualize patients' care when it comes to this specific operation. For example, if a patient has significant and/or asymmetric breast ptosis, I think it may be in her best interest to have the breast implants removed first and undergo breast lifting at a later date. On the other hand, if the patient has a mild degree of breast ptosis and good symmetry present, then a single stage procedure will likely achieve the same outcome. My best suggestion: seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Then, communicate your goals carefully as well. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Implants Removed and Mastopexy

You stated you want implants removed, not replaced.  An inperson exam is needed to determine the best course of action, but in general if you are having implants removed and not replaced, for the best result heal from this before having the mastopexy.  The healing time will enable the skin to take up the slack to assure correct nipple and skin position.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Revision Mastopexy Augmentation

I prefer to do both at the same time. Many plastic surgeons will do the Mastopexy and remove the implant and later put  new implants. The important part is to look for an experienced board certified plastic surgeon that can share the results. Best to you.

Hard to tell

Thank you for your question.  Without photos, it is hard to tell what procedure or sequence is recommended.  Consider adding photos and reposting.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Capsulectomy first

I would always suggest an implant removal with capsulectomy first, wait to see how the breasts respond and then consider further surgery.  This way you might avoid the external scars associated with the lift.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Mastopexy at same time?

Good question.  All patients need to be examined in person for a full discussion of this issue, as with many others.  A photo would be helpful but, even then, the above applies.

In general, though, the most prudent approach is often to stage the procedure.  That means you should have the implants (and capsules, if appropriate) removed at the first procedure, then wait about six months, and then reassess.  There are times when it's particularly important to do so (such as when there is very skin thin, or in the case of a smoker, or someone who has small vessel disease).  This approach has the disadvantage of mandating two surgical procedures, whereas it is often possible to do it all at once.

That decision - stage it or not - is an important one, and you should get several (around three or so) consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons before you proceed with this surgery.  That will be the best way for you to make as informed a decision as possible.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100
@RealSelf

Treatment course varies

Thank you for your question.  As you can see from the responses, there is not a single best way to handle implant removal and replacement combined with a lift or mastopexy. Factors include your breast skin quality, size of implants and the desired result. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in mastopexy and implant surgery is best to discuss your expectations and obtained result you want. In some cases, implant removal with time foreskin to retract and heal is best, while in other cases implant exchange or removal combined with a lift work well to achieve a nice result.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon