I want a breast augmentation but don't know if I should wait until after I have children. Would I need a second surgery after?

I'm 25 and don't know when or if I will ever have children. Is it best to wait until you have children and your breasts reduce in size then just do a mommy make-over or could I get them done now and expect little to no change after having children?

Should I wait?

Hi and thanks for your question. It is not necessary to wait until you have children to get a breast augmentation. Changes depend a lot on your breasts shape and volume right now. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Milla

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Now or Later

It is difficult to predict how the breast will respond after children. However, it is not unsafe to move forward with a Breast Augmentation now. Once you do have children, breast feeding can cause the breast to droop and you may need a lift later down the road but there are no guarantees.

Peter H. Grossman, MD, FACS

Very interesting question! You can tell by the responses that there is no real consensus to that question.  I do a ton of breast augmentation surgeries and I would say that the majority of my patients have no idea if they are finished having children at the time.  Im not sure that anyone can tell you that you would or wouldn't need an additional surgery but you certainly need to understand that you might.  IMO, an augmentation is a reasonable surgery prior to having kids as long as you understand you may require an additional surgery down the road. However, implants are not a lifelong device, so you need to be willing to undergo additional surgery in any case.

Mark E. Freeman, MD
Idaho Falls Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Childbirth

It is difficult to predict how much the breasts might change during childbirth. This is different for everyone but it is possible that your breasts will grow and then deflate or sag somewhat after childbirth. If you know that you plan to become pregnant I recommend that you wait.

All the best

Breast Augmentation Before or After Children?

If you think that you may have children soon then it would make sense to wait until after you are done having children. The most common reason for someone to have an augmentation is to correct the changes in your breast that occur as a result of pregnancy and breast feeding. 

On the other hand I do many augmentations on women before they have children. The way the surgery is done it should preserve your ability to breast feed but there is no guarantee that you would be able to breast feed. Some women cannot successfully breast even without having undergone augmentation. The changes that occur in your breast with pregnancy and breast feeding are not predictable. I have many patients who had an augmentation before pregnancy and when I saw them afterwards they still looked quite good. Typically not quite as perky as they were before children but still very acceptable. Others just needed a modest upsize to replace volume that was lost and better fill out the skin. A few patients were in need of a lift but that is a relatively uncommon occurrence. 

You cannot predict how your breasts will change after having children as each woman differs. If you are planing on having children soon then I would recommend holding off. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for your question. This is often a common question before breast augmentation. I would echo other surgeons on here and say that it all depends on your projected timeline for having children. There is no doubt that having children will change your breasts, but it is uncertain to what degree. Some women have augmentation and then have children and have a good outcome afterwards. Some others have significant changes and require revision surgery after having children. I would say that if you are planning to have children soon, you would be better off to delay surgery until after childbearing. 

Hope this helps!

Breast augmentation and pregnancy

Pregnancy will change your breasts without question.  To what degree is unknown.  Because having breast implants are not a risk with pregnancy, the question you have to decide is whether you you are ok with possibly needing a lift after pregnancy (which can be the case with or without breast implants, really).

Tim Neavin, MD

The answer depends on how soon you may have children. If children are planned in the near future, then it's best to wait until you are done having children. If there are no foreseeable plans to have children, then you could undergo breast augmentation any time and enjoy the benefits now.

When you are considering surgery, make sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast augmentation before having children

Hello and thank you for the question. I think the answer depends on how soon and How likely will it be before you have children. Pregnancy always changes your body and breasts. Sometimes those changes are significant and sometimes those changes are mild. It is impossible to predict what any given patient will look like post pregnancy or multiple pregnancies. Generally speaking the more pregnancies the more changes occur.If you're thinking of getting pregnant in the next one or two years then I would hold off on the breast implants and do this afterwards. However if that is not a certainty for you and the possibility looks like many years away then go ahead and do the breast implants now.  

It is best to seek several consultations from board certified plastic surgeons in the area before making any decisions.As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care physician.Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon