Fillers vs face lift to add more youthful appearance after weight loss? (Photos)

Over the last 21 months I lost over 130lbs after VSG. I feel really good about where I am but I have noticed that my face has aged significantly and people have commented that I look sick and/or older and that I need to stop losing weight. This has really affected my confidence lately and now I question what I have done. I have a TT and Brachioplasty scheduled for 10/20 but my anxiety level is making me question that decision as well. What would be best/most cost effective to restore my face?

Fillers vs face lift to add more youthful appearance after weight loss?

Hello, and thanks for your question. I do see where you would benefit tremendously from carefully replacing lost volume. I think you're a particularly good candidate for injection of Sculptra, a milk sugar-derivative that stimulates productions of your own collagen for long-lasting results. Most patients require 2-4 injections spaced out every 6-8 weeks. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Rejuvenation after massive weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss! You have a beautiful face and decent neckline from the photos you have shown.  Adding back volume in certain areas with fillers will definitely add the youthful touch you are looking for.  Depending on how lax your skin is, certain technologies like ThermiTight or other non-surgical methods may help tighten the loose skin that often accompanies weight loss. Hope this helps and congratulations again!

Michelle Eagan, MD
San Francisco Physician

Fillers for a More Youthful Appearance After Weight Loss

Dear dawnbalogh:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend using fillers like Juvederm Voluma and Volift to reflate your mid and lower face thus creating a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.  All the best.

Filler to add Volume

You would be an excellent candidate for Voluma and Sculptra to add volume from the weight loss.  Sculptra would produce new collagen and last for over two years.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Facelift or Fillers

Hello, you have got a significant sagging of the mid face due to your weight loss. The correction needs volume replacement. Fillers would do the trick if you want something temporary ( for a year or so). A minimal incision facelift is done through a small incision in the hairline. Sutures are used to tighten specific areas of the face. This gives a youthful look and lasts 5-10 years. It's a 2 hour procedure under minimal sedation. Depends also whether you plan to loose more weight. Regards

Parag Telang, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Fillers versus Facelift after weight loss?

Hello, Congratulations on your weight loss journey. When you lose 130 lbs in less than 2 years you must have lost significant volume in your face along with skin laxity.  It is important to distinguish whether you need volume replacement, skin tightening, or both, to achieve optimal results. If you are considering non-surgical options you need both skin tightening procedures to rebuild the collagen and elasticity, and then adding volume with fillers.The surgical option such as facelift  results are instant and long lasting, versus short term results from non invasive options. Discuss these with an expert cosmetic physician/surgeon.

Best of luck!!

Dr. Shanthala

Filler vs. Facelift

It depends on what you are seeking.  Nature has been kind; you are an attractive woman with good features and could certainly get a good non-surgical result.  However, if you are looking for a dramatic and longer lasting result, you could consider surgery.  You may also consider a longer lasting filler such as Bellafill for five or more years duration that improves over time to approach the longer duration of a facelift.  Many women would be perfectly satisfied with volumizing with filler and perhaps relaxation of any facial expression lines with a neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport or Xeomin) for total facial rejuvenation. Another consideration is Vampire Facelift for improvement in shape, texture and color to restore a healthy glow due to new blood vessel growth.  Make sure you do not smoke, drink plenty of water, eat a healthy diet containing anti-oxidants and protect from sun damage.

Leslie Pickens, MD
Alexandria Emergency Medicine Physician