After mammogram, my breast is just not the same

I recently had a mammogram. I have silicone breast implant that are eight months old. During the mammogram my left breast squeezed vertically and once released from the machine my breast stayed in the squeezed position for at least 10 seconds or more and there was a bulge that came out from bottom left side. All went back but now I have way more rippling and it's kinda sore. Not the same. If it's the pocket that got messed up what might I do? I am wearing a sports bra now Thank you

Impalknt post mammo

You could have popped the capsule when the technican put your implant into the xray machine.You could put ice on thee to lessen the swelling and wear your bra.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram and implants

It is quite possible that your implant was impacted by the mammogram. See your surgeon and possible talk to the mammographer to be evaluated. Good luck.

Please see our plastic surgeon for an examination.  My concern is that the pressure from the mammogram may have caused a tear in the breast implant capsule.  Since you have return to normal it is unlikely that this is a serious problem however it is best to be examined by your plastic surgeon.

Implants and mammograms

Thank you for your question!  I would recommend getting an appointment with your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Thank you for your question. The physical act of obtaining a mammogram can adversely affect your implants. It is very important to tell the technician that you have implants prior to undergoing this procedure. I recommend that you make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an examination. You may also need further imaging (e.g. ultrasound, MRI) to evaluate the integrity of the implant.

Breast change after mammogram

The first thing I would do is go back to the people who did your mammogram. There is a physician there who should listen to your story. 
In my opinion they should at least look at your breast with an ultrasound(at their expense) if they dont do MRI's there. If they are affiliated with someone who does MRI's they could send you there.

Then take the result to your plastic surgeon.

Good luck

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

I feel that my breast is differerent after having a mammogram.

Thanks for the question.  Mammograms can change the way a breast feels, altering the stability of the implant and capsule on occasion.  If you have any sense that the implant feels different and may have some irregularity in shape since the mammogram was performed, check with your Internist and operating Plastic Surgeon for a full evaluation.  Other specific tests may need to be considered.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your mammogram related issues.  Because of the acute change in appearance of your breast and implant I would see your surgeon for an in-person examination to diagnose any issues that may require treatment - implant rupture, implant displacement, hematoma - or provide reassurance that all is still well. 

Breast different after mammogram

Hello, if your breast symptoms and different appearance persist I would recommend discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  They will be able to determine if there is an issue with the implant and possibly order more investigations such as an MRI.