Can someone achieve getting a shorter and flatter nose with surgery? (photos)

I have a longer, narrow nose. I want to shorten it and make my bridge less predominant. In the photo I am on the left and ally desired nose is on the right

Changing Your Nose

It is possible to make many changes, but each change must be based on your anatomy and facial relationships. Your photo only shows one view, not enough to draw any conclusions of what would work best for you. It is best to arrange a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to sort out your specific goals and define what the wisest surgical options is. 

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so that they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best recommendations. Based on your photographs and cosmetic goals, you may benefit from a tip rhinoplasty which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing along with shaving down excess cartilage or bone from the bridge. The combination of the two should help reduce the projection of your nose and shape/size of the tip. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Refinement of the nasal tip and bridge

Thank you for your question. Often times in the initial analysis of rhinoplasty I would like to have more views to make a proper assessment. From the photograph given, it does appear that you could get some refinement.  With regards to the profile, more photos would help to make that decision. Please seek the advice of a double board-certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can somewhat achieve getting a shorter and flatter nose with surgery?

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about what can and cannot accomplished with a rhinoplasty procedure.  Digital computer imaging would also be helpful to understand what can be accomplished.  The bridge line and the tip can be narrowed and refined  with a closed rhinoplasty approach by making all the incisions on the inside of the nose.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below 

Save Can someone achieve getting a shorter a

Yes. See a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and imaging. You will learn what is possible and then see the changes on your images to see if it is what you have in mind. Good luck. 

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Can someone achieve getting a shorter and flatter nose with surgery?

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.  

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip refinement

It appears that you have a wide nasal tip that could use some refinement. The photo that you desire has a narrower tip and smaller bridge. More photos would be useful as well as a consultation so you can do imaging and better understand the possibilities for your nose. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You would have to be evaluated in person and see other photo views to get an idea of what might be possible for you. Best of luck.