I have an apron of skin that hangs half way down my thighs! I get skin infections that hurt and smell! l need that apron gone!

Is there ANYTHING at all that can be done to reduce the apron size for a YERY uncomfortable old (70) woman! ANYTHING! ANYTHING! The skin smells and is painful. I need help to take care of it.

The procedure to address what you are describing is called a  panniculectomy, or when a pannus is surgically removed. A pannus is extra skin and fat tissue, sometimes referred to as an apron, that hangs down over ones genitals and/or thighs. This excess tissue can make it difficult to maintain good hygiene and perform physical activity. This surgery differs from a tummy tuck in that it does not involve the tightening of the abdominal muscles or an incision around the belly button.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Panniculectomy - how to have excess skin removed

Thank you for asking about your abdominal excess skin.
  • Yes, there is a good answer - surgical removal of the excess skin.
  • You are old enough to be covered by Medicare.
  • Please see a plastic surgeon in your area who takes Medicare and arrange a consultation.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS