I am 44yr old had a BA 18yrs ago developed CC in my right breast so had that fixed year later. My breast size pre-op was 34A.

I have 310cc high profile McGhan overs presently but have developed grade IV CC in both breasts right one being more pronounced. My implants have always been noticeable in my upper pole area and i have never liked that. I am slim 5ft 3", 9st subcutaneous pinch thickness in the upper pole of each breast is 1/2cm with a 7cm cleavage. I would like a totally natural breast shape with a reduced cleavage area if possible.I would like to decrease my chance of CC again with the most natural appearance?

Recurrent capsular contracture with smooth subglandular breast implants.

No one can guarantee no risk of capsular contracture, however without examining you I can tell you that generally I would plan for subpectoral placement of mid profile implants and would also pretreat you with Singulair to slightly further reduce the risk of CC.  I also prefer implant insertion with a Keller Funnel device which also may be beneficial.  During the surgery procedure I use sizers or test implants to determine the optimal size and shaping.  I would also recommend total capsulectomy and closure of the old pockets with temporary drains.  Discuss these decisions with your ABPS Bd Certified ps and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Breast revision

In order, to determine what is right for you, you would need to be seen in person. My preference is to place them under the muscle.

High profile overs presently but have developed capsular contracture.

The high profile implants can be rather round in a subglandular location and capsular contracture can really enhance the show through in an unnatural way. Our advice would be to consider a submuscular implant pocket with a moderate profile implant. The difference will be natural and a dramatic improvement.

Capsular contracture

Since you have had two capsular contractures, you may want to switch your pocket to sub muscular. Some surgeons might recommend going to textured implants as well, but not my choice. 

Good luck,

Greg Sexton, M.D.

Columbia, S.C.

Capsular contracture and unnatural appearance years after #breastaugmentation

Great description of what's happening with your breasts--you must have done your research! Well done :) Most of the time in cases of capsular contracture, the implants and capsule need to be removed and a new pocket developed (i.e. in your case, change to submuscular). The other advantage of placing an implant submuscularly, especially in someone like yourself with a smaller amount of innate breast gland, is that the muscle provides some extra tissue between the implant and your skin thus giving a more natural appearance.  In some cases, insertion of a dermal mesh product serving as an internal bra will also reduce the risk of capsular contracture.  There are other steps that I and most plastic surgeons take now (based on research studies) to reduce the risk of capsular contracture in all augmentations including not touching the implants, washing them and the pocket with an antibiotic solution, etc etc. Your choice of implant could also impact the CC risk and appearance--shaped or anatomic implants, textured implants, etc may be an option.  Please make sure to consult with board-certified plastic surgeons for best recommendations. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon