I had face lift with upper eye & fat transfer under eyes, I have lumpy areas under eyes 10 days post op. Is it normal? (Photo)

Can I have it removed or could it settle on its own ?

Fat Grafting and Facelift

During the early stages, you should be seeing your plastic surgeon and visiting his office regularly, even more regularly if you have concerns. Keep a photos diary and keep a journals of your concerns so you can share this with your surgeon's office. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy areas in areas of fat grafting.

At 10 days you are early in the healing process and as the swelling and bruising goes down you may see improvement.  Whether this all resolves won't be known for several months.Although fat grafting is a "hot topic"in the media it is not highly predictable in it's results.  How much fat "takes" and stays permanently is difficult to predict.  It may take unevenly and cause contour irregularities.  Frequent follow up with your surgeon would be required and following your surgeons post operative instructions important.

Fat injections

The lumpiness should improve with time,  personally, I don't believe in fat injections in facelifts and especially in the eyelids.  Sometimes the lumps persist and need to be removed surgically.  I have no idea what the fat is intended to do anyway.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

10 days post op

Hello.  10 days is still very early in the recovery period after a facelift and eye surgeries.  Based on your photos, it looks like your healing is satisfactory.  The expected swelling and irregularities seen after these procedures can be alarming for many patients.  Continue with good wound care and follow up with your surgeon as scheduled.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a facelift

Hi Josephine, from the pictures that you provided you look like you are healing very well considering you are only 10 days post-op. The lumpy areas under the eyes should gradually smooth out as the inflammation subsides. Make sure to comply with your surgeon's post operative instructions and follow up to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

10 days after facelift

At 10 days after a facelift it is very common to have lumps and bumps. The areas of fat grafting usually also will have swelling and lumpiness for several weeks if not months after surgery. You are trying to heal too fast. Let time take it's course and heal you.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps post fat

Since you are only 10 days post op I would give it some more time.This may go down with some heat and gentle massage.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness of the lower eyelids following fat transfer

Some lumpiness of your lower eyelid area is not unexpected to cause early lumps under the skin.  Follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.

Lumpiness after fat transfer and lift

I warn my patients that lumpiness is possible during the recovery process, so for the first two weeks- don't worry about it. The fat feels lumpy when placed and settles down over time. 

The swelling and lumpiness is also exacerbated by having additional procedures such as laser skin resurfacing, eyelids, type of anesthesia (more swelling with general anesthesia so I do all mine under local anesthesia). 

Follow up with your surgeon- relay your concerns but the bottom line is that it's too early to worry about lumpiness. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Bumps early after Fat Grafting

As mentioned, you are very early in your recovery process.  You will likely see huge improvements as the months go by.  If you have irregularities that do appear to be changing much after 6 months, then I would followup with you cosmetic surgeon to discuss options.  Unlike hyaluronic acid fillers such as the Restylane and Juvederm family of products that can be "dissolved", fat cannot be simply removed but often begins to dissipate on its own.   For "bumps" lasting more than a year following these injections, I would see advise as to further options.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon