What is the difference, benefits, of using PRP?

What is the difference, benefits, of using PRP for microneedling verus a synthetic? And is it worth the extra expense since it is almost 3 times as much?

PRP is your own growth factor vs synthetic

Firstly, you are using your body's natural growth factors to repair and stimulate collagen, this means that you have no chances of any allergic or hypersensitive reaction if you use PRP microneedling. With synthetic products, you can get an irritant or even an allergy. Bottom line, I always use PRP over synthetic factors!

As for microneedling, I take this one step further, I use either energy based microneedling to deliver channels, or lasers in conjunction with PRP- this gives much better results than microneedling alone. Why? Because lasers and or energy microneedling stimulates more collagen AND provides access to PRP into your lower dermis. 

All the best in your decisions.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist. 
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Microneedling, Fillers, Lasers, Botox/Dysport, PRP -- CAN BE DONE ALL SAME DAY

I find that you get much better results with prp and microneedling when combined with a laser. I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. emer.

Always use PRP with Microneedling

The use of Growth Factors and Platelet Rich Plasma with Micro-Needling improves the results of micro needling. The reason is this; growth factors are important for new cell generation and cellular functions, such as creating new collagen and elastic fibers. Growth factors come in many different varieties and are extremely abundant in our platelets. (These are the small cellular particles in our blood that stop up small blood vessels when we get cut.) Each platelet has 3 different granule types which are released when they are activated. These 3 granules have a wide assortment of growth factors and factors that attract stem cells to the area.

Microneedling will create access for platelets to enter the skin. Once the platelet are deep in the skin their granules are activated and wonderful things start to happen.

As your skin is healing, although this procedure has minimal downtime, the growth factors in a higher concentration that would normally be found induces extra collagen, new cells and increased normal vascularity of the skin. This has a profound effect of the look of our skin.

Patricia Faraz, MD
Ladera Ranch OB/GYN