Had 500 cc saline implants 21 yrs ago and exchanged them for 700cc. BIG mistake! 400cc exchange. Im 5'7". 140lbs. Any thoughts?

Started out A size- Exchanged them for 700cc only 1 yr ago and they are heavy and sag. Planning on exchange with 400cc and lift..... Thoughts?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after revisionary breast augmentation surgery. Yes, you should be able to undergo downsizing of breast implants. Keep in mind as you are thinking about your goals that sometimes adjustment of the breast implant pockets (capsule adjustments) and/or breast lifting surgery may be necessary to achieve the outcome you are looking for.   Whether or not the adjustment of the breast implant capsules and/or breast lifting will be necessary will mainly be dependent on your physical examination; specifically, factors such as the amount of redundant skin, quality of skin elasticity,  and how much you downsize will be important.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "down a cup size” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast surgery, specifically downsizing breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.  

Implant exchange

You would have to be seen in person to determine what might be best for you. Downsizing and a lift might be the right thing to do, but photos/exam would be helpful.

Revision?

Without photographs it's hard to give you any meaningful recommendations. Generally speaking when large implants are replaced with one's that are half the size, there's usually the necessity for some type of the skin reduction with a breast lift. In my experience, breast lifts will fare better with a longer durability of the lift, when smaller implants are used. Try to find a plastic surgeon in your region with experience in revisionary cosmetic breast surgery. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS