How long after liposuction do you need before getting a lympathic drainage massage? (Photos)

I recently had liposuction and fat transfer procedure in Dominican republic on 9/9/16 when i was in DR I was,advised as soon as i get back to the UK to get a lympathic drainage massage straight away once back in the UK i have spoke to a couple of therapist and they will not massage me until 8 weeks after my op which bothers me because whilst over there i was told that if i wasnt to continue with my massages my skin will harden and my tummy is hard now and i have fluid in the lower back area

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Massage after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and BBL.

• There is no evidence that lymphatic massage will affect your result.
  • It doesn't mean it can't help - but certainly it makes no difference for most people.
  • Your skin is hard because of swelling and will soften as swelling goes down.
  • I always wonder if instructions to get massage right away - when you may not be able to do so - is a way of setting the stage for blaming you for a disappointing result.
  • If you cannot find someone to do your massage right away see if you feel you need or want one at the eight week mark.
  • Or buy on-line an inexpensive, hand held massage machine and use it on yourself.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS