What are my options? My general surgeon and plastic surgeon will not remove my implants.

I had a bilateral mastecomy in 2014, have been in constant pain since day one. Implants were put under the muscle using alloderm. Surgeons seem to think removing implants will not give me relieve, and are afraid to remove them because of the alloderm. What are my options?

What are my options ?

Thank you for your question. It is possible to remove the implants. However, there isn't any guarantee that your pain will completely resolve.  If your Alloderm is incorporated there wouldn't be any need to have it removed. Best of luck.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Removing implants after mastectomy

Thank you for asking about your breast reconstruction with implants.

• I am so sorry you have had such constant pain.
  • You can definitely have the implants removed - 
  • The alloderm may not be possible tor remove but it should not be stuck to the implants.
  • The chief problem may be that the pain is from another cause such as nerve damage during mastectomy
  • So removing the implants may not improve the pain but the implants can certainly be removed and perhaps that will take care of the pain - 
  • So return to your surgeon to discuss implant removal again. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. The implants can certainly be removed but this may not alleviate the discomfort. Alloderm will eventually become incorporated into the soft tissue and can actually be helpful in reducing abnormal scar that often develops around an implant. There may be some scar that still exists that is creating the discomfort and this possibly could be addressed. One final option may be to consider the placement of fat grafts in areas where either very thin skin or scar irregularities do exist. This can be a very challenging problem and I would certainly discuss these issues again with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Removal

Sounds like there is confusion.  The presence of alloderm should not be an issue when it comes to removing the implants.  See your surgeon for clarification.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

I am sorry to hear about the pain you have been experiencing. Something doesn't sound right here. I would suggest that you clarify with your plastic surgeon what his/her rationale is. There may have been a misunderstanding.

Breast implants can certainly be removed and the presence of alloderm will not necessarily make this more difficult or complication prone. Of course, as you know, removal of breast implants will not necessarily alleviate or eliminate pain.

If still in doubt, seek consultation with other board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. Best wishes.

Implant removal

Thanks for your question, and I'm sorry to hear you are still having pain. Certainly, the implants can be removed, along w/ any Alloderm that is not already incorporated into your body's tissues. No promise can be made that it will help or eliminate your symptoms. Oftentimes a drain is needed temporarily to pull away fluid that may want to accumulate in the pocket. I hope that helps.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon