Removal of 18 years old silicone implants, what can I use to help breast elasticity?
Doctor Answers 5
Breast implant removal
Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to greatly improve skin elasticity, especially when the implants were in for many years. You skin will contract some, and if you are unhappy with the end result you can decide to have a breast lift at a later date.
Removing implants - what can be done to increase skin elasticity
Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.
- Actually, topical tretinoin) generic Retin A will improve skin elasticity if there is DNA damage
- This is commonly seen from sun damage -
- It is less likely to work when the loss of elasticity is from mechanical stretch by an implant.
- It might be worth trying on your breast skin 1 - 2 x a week -
- If it irritates your skin, you need to stop.
- Ask your surgeon if s/he will prescribe some for you to try but --
- The usual correction of lost elasticity after implant removal is a lift to reshape the breast.
- I assume you are having the implant removed en bloc with the capsule?
With 18 year old gel implants, the implant will have leaked a lot of silicone and attempts to remove the implant without the capsule will be inadequate.
- Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
Unfortunately there in not much you can do to improve the elastic content of your skin. Hopefully you will go back to being close to your pre augment size and shape, but this is somewhat doubtful after having implants eighteen years.
You might also like...
Breast elasticity after implant removal
Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to improve breast skin elasticity. I would suggest meeting with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Some women who remove their implants benefit from having a breast lift, which will remove the excess skin. Some women, depending on the size of the implants and how much breast tissue they have, can have a fair amount of natural skin retraction and are happy with the results of implant removal alone. Best of luck!
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.