Leg cramps - just over a week i had a tummy tuck.

But last few days iv had terrible leg cramp could meds cause this and if so how long to clear as only taking pain killers now

Causes of Leg Cramps After Surgery

Dear ger38, After surgery, the natural reaction is to retain large amounts of fluid until about days five through seven. At that point, the body diuresis all of this extra fluid off and can shift your electrolytes. You would be best off supplementing potassium, calcium and magnesium assuming that your kidneys are in normal functioning mode. A more serious incident could be a deep vein thrombosis that your surgeon should be able to rule in or rule out pretty comfortably with a physical exam. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Leg cramps after a tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. Without an in-person examination, it is difficult to guarantee a reliable assessment of your concern. I recommend that you contact your surgeon right away.  Although leg cramps can be caused by a variety of factors, your physician need to rule out the possibility of blood clot formation (DVT).   An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to fully assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Leg Cramp

Thanks for your question. We see leg cramps occasionally after like a suction breast and body surgery. Often times this is due to changes in the electrolytes just like if you were to run a few miles and get dehydrated. Many times it is low potassium or calcium that's the culprit and we have patients drink orange juice to improve the situation. If you have cramping in one leg and swelling in one leg that made be a sign of another more substantial problem and you should seek help immediately. Signs of the vein thrombosis are difficult to assess and require a physician to full fully examine you. 
Best of luck to you and I'm sure that things will go well for you.Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Leg cramps after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Leg pain or cramps could be due to any number of things. The most serious of which is blood clot or deep vein thrombosis. You should contact your surgeon immediately and get checked out. He or she may order an ultrasound of the lower extremities to look for a clot. Other causes could be related to hydration and electrolyte imbalance after surgery. Blood clot is the most serious and should be checked out ASAP.Good Luck,J. Michael Morrissey, MD