Ruptured Breast implant removal without capsule removal?

I've had mentor 350cc implants under the muscle since 2006, one of which I recently came to know had ruptured. I had them removed and replaced with same size implants yesterday. However, though one had ruptured within the capsule and the other had sweated some silicone onto its surface, my doctor felt it unnecessary to remove the capsules and so just cleaned them and put in the new ones. Is this ok?

Ruptured implant

Generally speaking the capsules are removed along with the ruptured implant.  I encourage you to discuss your concerns with your doctor in order to understand his/her rationale for the decision that was made.

Replacing ruptured implants - should capsule have been removed?

Thank you for asking about your gel implants.

• This is an unusual situation and only your surgeon knows the reason for her/his decision.
  • Usually a capsule around a ruptured gel implant is thick and hard and needs to be removed.
  • You will need to ask your surgeon for the reason for what he did -
  • He may have found thin, normal capsules that needed no treatment but that is uncommon after gel implant ruptures.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant Replacement

In the event of capsular contracture and a ruptured implant, I would remove the capsule before replacing the implants.  Your surgeon was the one in the operating room and knows what the capsule looked like, therefore he is the best to make the decision.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Ruptured silicone breast implant

Ruptured silicone implants should be removed as enblock removal of the implant and the capsule to minimize contamination of the breast tissue with the silicone gel.

In your case you had the implants removed and new implants out in the same original capsule. The capsule will have some silicone in it. MRI of the breast and the axillary lymph nodes to see how much silicone is remaining or have migrated. Then a discussion with you as to your options and the benefits.

Addressing The Capsule During Removal Of Breast Implants

You have had your implants for over ten years, so that is quite a while, and it was probably time for them to be replaced.  How a surgeon decides to address the capsule is a function of the condition of the capsule, and the degree of capsular contracture present. However, if there was a silicone bleed through the capsule, we will usually perform a capsulectomy.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS