What is the protocol of taping the nose after Rhinoplasty and what tape is best to use?

If I tape my nose wrong will this affect the outcome (bare in mind, I am 5 days post op)? What tape do you recommend for tapes Ng the bose and for what reasoning? I am using stretchy, transparent tape. TIA

Taping the nose after rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. Taping the nose after rhinoplasty has been shown to help limit swelling in the weeks following surgery. I don't routinely do it beyond a week when the tape and external splint come off. For very thick-skinned people, there is data to support using it beyond one week. Ask your surgeon what they'd suggest.

College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Greetings

Thank you for your question. In your case you can watch some videos on the internet.

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon