Pocket for implant created to wide? (Photos)

I know I have a wide sternum and that my nipples pointed to the outwards. I chose 350cc hp and 325cc mentor implants. Now that my implants have settled it seems that I have more side boob than anything else. When I lie down it's a bit uncomfortable and my implants really fall to my armpits. Front view I have no breasts it seems. My surgeon now tells me how I should wear an underwire bra at all times. Do you think the breast pockets were made too wide? Is this the misjudgment of my surgeon?

Pocket for implant created to wide?

Thank you for your question. You may have "lateral displacement" of your implants caused by too large a pocket created on the sides. If this is the case surgical revision is necessary. Discuss with your surgeon.

Lateral drift of breast implants when laying down

Based on reviewing your photographs, I have several suggestions.  First of all, I agree with your plastic surgeon about wearing good support - especially at night.  When I look at your photo in the upright position, the breasts look fine and the nipple seems to be appropriate relative to the breast implant.  A breast implant with a wider base diameter (meaning it is wider, probabaly a moderate plus profile) would probably give you more "cleavage" than you currently have now with your high profile implants because it is wider.  That is something that I would plan to discuss with you plastic surgeon.  It is also important to know that when any patient that has had breast implants lays down at night, the implants naturally want to "drift" to some degree to the sides.  That is the reason I recommend to my patients to always wear good support at night because it will resist that.  That is probably why you are feeling uncomfortable at night.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Pocket for implant created to wide?

Breast implants are fillers and are placed behind the nipple.  Since your nipples point outward, a minor mastopexy would be needed to correct the nipple placement.  At the same time, if the breast pockets are too large that can be corrected.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon while evaluating your pre-operative photos.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Pocket for implant created to wide?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. You demonstrate your concerns nicely. Although some “falling to these sides” of breast implants is quite normal when you lie down, if this occurs “excessively”, it may be a concern to patients.  This phenomenon is called lateral displacement of the breast implant;  it may be of concern from the visual and the discomfort standpoints. Surgical correction is an option.

Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline.    In my practice, I use a 2  layered suture technique to close off the space laterally (towards the axilla). The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary)  especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is present.  Also, the use of a larger/wider breast implant may help improve/decrease the space between the breast implants.   

Although frustrating, breast implant malpositions  are not necessarily the fault of the surgeon. Sometimes, the complication may occur because of “over dissection"  or poor surgical judgment;  sometimes, it results because of patient tissue quality/time/aging/changes with pregnancy/genetics/muscle contraction…

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to this type of revisionary breast surgery concerns), helps.  Best wishes.