Liposuction - am I eligible?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 6
Liposuction - am I eligible?
Eligible for Liposuction
Given that you are planning on having a baby, I would not recommend having an abdominoplasty as the surgical repair of the rectus muscle would be at risk. That being said then Yes liposuction would be an option, with the caveat that it may not reduce your weight significantly as it is not a weight loss tool but body contouring tool.
Are you eligible for liposuction?
I just recently tweeted information provided by the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) regarding this topic. Here is what they have on their website:_____________________________________________________________________________________Liposuction candidates
Ideal liposuction candidates are:
- Adults within 30% of their ideal weight who have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring
If you are bothered by excess fat deposits – located anywhere on your body – that don’t respond to diet or exercise, liposuction may be right for you._________________________________________________________________________________________
I perform a lot of liposuction and there are always exceptions to the above guidelines. It is very important to understand that liposuction is not a weight reduction procedure, it is for body contouring or changing the shape of your body. So if you have a problem area that stands out or is out of proportion to your body, liposuction can help. Also, liposuction is not an excuse to not take care of yourself. A healthy lifestyle is very important to maintain so that you have lasting results with lipo, and of course, it's good for your body and mind overall.
As for having a baby in the future, that will not be an issue with having liposuction now.
Of course, the best way to get the answer to your question, is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. History and examination of your body are necessary to make that final determination.
I hope I was of some help. Best wishes!
Dr. Jaime Bastidas
You might also like...
Liposuction ok at BMI 27
- If your BMI is 27 and your health is good, chances are you are a good candidate for liposuction.
- Reminder - liposuction removes fat from specific places.
- You will lose at most 10 pounds after liposuction and it will return to new body areas unless you lose that amount of weight after liposuction.
- Women who lose weight after liposuction get much better results than those who do no.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.