Liposuction - am I eligible?

Hello, I am considering liposuction as I am trying to lose weight with no luck. I lost 21 kg 2 years back through diet and walking but gained 10 kg back since last couple of months. I'm 33 years old now, height is 168, weight 78 and BMI 27. Am I eligible for lipo? Note that I'm planning to have another baby in the coming 1 or 2 years

Liposuction - am I eligible?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Eligible for Liposuction

Given that you are planning on having a baby, I would not recommend having an abdominoplasty as the surgical repair of the rectus muscle would be at risk. That being said then Yes  liposuction would be an option, with the caveat that it may not reduce your weight significantly as it is not a weight loss tool but body contouring tool.

Jack Zoumaras, MBBS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Are you eligible for liposuction?

I just recently tweeted information provided by the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) regarding this topic.  Here is what they have on their website:_____________________________________________________________________________________Liposuction candidates

Ideal liposuction candidates are:

• Adults within 30% of their ideal weight who have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone
  • Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring

If you are bothered by excess fat deposits – located anywhere on your body – that don’t respond to diet or exercise, liposuction may be right for you._________________________________________________________________________________________
I perform a lot of liposuction and there are always exceptions to the above guidelines.  It is very important to understand that liposuction is not a weight reduction procedure, it is for body contouring  or changing the shape of your body.  So if you have a problem area that stands out or is out of proportion to your body, liposuction can help.  Also, liposuction is not an excuse to not take care of yourself.  A healthy lifestyle is very important to maintain so that you have lasting results with lipo, and of course, it's good for your body and mind overall.

As for having a baby in the future, that will not be an issue with having liposuction now.

Of course, the best way to get the answer to your question, is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  History and examination of your body are necessary to make that final determination.

I hope I was of some help.  Best wishes!  

Dr. Jaime Bastidas

Jaime Bastidas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction ok at BMI 27

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • If your BMI is 27 and your health is good, chances are you are a good candidate for liposuction.
  • Reminder - liposuction removes fat from specific places.
  • You will lose at most 10 pounds after liposuction and it will return to new body areas unless you lose that amount of weight after liposuction.
  • Women who lose weight after liposuction get much better results than those who do no.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction expectations

Thank you for your question. The first thing I would want you to know is that liposuction is not intended to produce weight loss. On the scale, you may not notice much difference before and after (actually, you will weigh MORE during the recovery phase as your body holds onto water). It's more about changing the shape and contour. It tends to improve pant/dress sizes very effectively. You should be at a stable weight and into a healthy diet/exercise routine. Pregnancy in the next year should not be a major drawback to liposuction. I hope that helps a bit. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Eligible for Liposuction

Hi. You are very much eligible for liposuction from the data provided. And you dont have to worry about conception. Liposuction does not affect pregnancy. But it will be great if you can send me photos of the concerned regions, so that I can advice appropriately.